Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a DRW truck to haul a 16k gross trailer weight fifth wheel RV. Price range puts me in a 2008 cc 4x4 either 350 or 450 config @ around 50k miles.

What would be your advice concerning Reliability, resale, MPG, stopping/handling etc?

This will be full time living for about 1-2 years. The truck will be a daily driver with occasional hauling between locations every 6 months. (Will see NW mountains and better part of the country)

Personally I want the 450 because I like the commercial tires, has a weight buffer if I need to haul more (20k) and its just well... Bad as hell.

On the flip side im thinking the 350 might be easier on the ass/wallet driving as a daily but tops out around 17k capacity.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you are going to be daily driving it, I would go with the 350. The 450 is a lot of truck and fuel mileage would suck daily driving a 9500lb monster with, at the highest, 4:30 rear ends. But hey, fuel mileage sucks on all 6.4's. Its can you live with 10 mpg's and under daily driving a 450?

·
Registered
135 Posts
A guy I work with went from a 350 to a 450 and he said the 450 is way easier to daily drive due to the major reduction in the turning radius. It's not like the 450 is any bigger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've read I didn't think there was that much of a difference in MPG between the two. Anyone got some numbers on that? That's a pretty large factor to look into.

Is the turning radius on the 4x4 F450's still a large improvement over 350? If so that would be a pretty big deal too. I'm coming from a 4x4 leaf front end and it drives me crazy trailering in tight spots.

·
Registered
939 Posts
yea, the F450 has a super 60 front end and it has a tighter turning radius. MPG's between the two, it all depends, the highest gear you can get in an F450 is 4.30's. An F350 is 3.73's or 4.10's. But like I said, you can do a tuner and a dpf delete and pretty much make up the difference in MPG's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think either truck is going need 4:10/30's. I've read there is only about a 550lb diff in weight?(apples to apples) I don't see that making that big a diff in fuel? Maybe 1-2mpg tops?

No doubt, uncorking will free up both trucks but if fuel mileage is a relative wash then it seems to be a pretty easy choice?

Missing something?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think either truck is going need 4:10/30's. I've read there is only about a 550lb diff in weight?(apples to apples) I don't see that making that big a diff in fuel? Maybe 1-2mpg tops?

No doubt, uncorking will free up both trucks but if fuel mileage is a relative wash then it seems to be a pretty easy choice?

Missing something?
i doubt mpg would be too much worse a little on the highway but other than that i doubt it would be bad. id get the 450 simply because there a beast and the look awesome. plus they got good breaks tires and 20s.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If we are going for looks, then yeah, the 19.5's look fantastic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm in the market for a DRW truck to haul a 16k gross trailer weight fifth wheel RV. Price range puts me in a 2008 cc 4x4 either 350 or 450 config @ around 50k miles.
I've got a 2008 F450 Lariat with 4:30's and about 54000 miles for sale.

Stickered for over 60K.

PM me for details.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^ Very nice truck and thanks for the offer but I need to find someone to pay way to much for my current truck or I'll be trading it in on the new one.

(If you want to pm me your location and asking price I'll be sure to get in touch if things work out that way)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts