Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 08 with a flatbed and it has cheap trailer tail lights. I bought some resistors and tried to install one but it says I need to connect the resistor to the blinker wire and the negative wire. My problem is I don't have a negative wire. I have a blinker a reverse and a parking light wire. I tried to put the resistor in line of the blinker wire and it made the blinker not work at all. The lights ground through the mounting of the light itself. I used a 25watt 6.2 ohm resistor. Does anyone know what the tolerance should be to make them blink correctly? Any help is appreciated.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
There has to exist some sort of ground for the light to function. This is where you want to go. Worst case, try it from hot straight to the chassis.

On a separate rant, I don't understand why people who are after the "low e" or energy saving (on a 12v vehicle system no less) allure of LEDs go and put a resistor in line to make the control thermistor trip. A resistor resists the flow of electrons and dissipates it as waste thru heat. So your milliwatt drawing LED still draws a tiny amount of power but you have this ginormous water wheel the voltage has to go thru before it gets to twinkle twinkle little star.

OP - that wasn't pointed at you in any way, just voicing an overall observation. Just try running the resistor from hot to whatever available ground at the luminary.

·
Administrator
32,930 Posts
LED's make sense someplace like a camper that is running off batteries
but all this coin spent on converting running lights on a vehicle with a charging system to LED

I don't get it either

OP you might just consider adding another light to the truck to make the circuit have a larger load thats all the resistor is doing and any ground for the resistor will work even chassis like Andy said just add a wire to the resistor and ground it

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
:whs:

About the larger or traditional incandescent bulb - the same will work in your home with LED or CFL luminaries and a dimmer switch.... Just put a regular bulb somewhere downstream and the need for a pricey LED-friendly dimmer is gone, since you have an old fashioned incandescent pulling the current and enabling the dimmer to do what it does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts