Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody used this Redline product for their diffs?
Heavy Shockproof gear oil, Film thickness of 75W250 but low fluid friction like 75W90...
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=44&pcid=4

I just finished up the SD 08 Aluminum cover on sig truck and thought I would give this stuff a whirl to see.....

thanks for your input IA.

jrc

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
will that 08+ diff coverfit on a 2001 superduty??

·
Registered
392 Posts
yes it will & looks pretty good. just put one on my 2000, you have to get longer bolts. i got 5/16 - 18 flange head bolts at home depot they were 1 1/4 long.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it will & looks pretty good. just put one on my 2000, you have to get longer bolts. i got 5/16 - 18 flange head bolts at home depot they were 1 1/4 long.
Good idea....about flanged bolts are they stainless? I used washers and standard head ones and only after did I think of it. Also shot the cover with some black plastcote underspray.

What did you guys use for fluid? The Redline I used seemed pretty thick in that it poured slow.

jrc

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
where can you get an 08+ diff cover? and how is it compared to an aftermarket?

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guess is that it does provide better cooling then the steel ones. FMCO would not spend money on this unless there was a reason. Thinking stamped steel cost to produce would be much less then cast aluminum with cooling fins and factory install would be less critial as the AL one is pretty stiff compared to the steel one. Will be interesting to see how the AL one lasts in the field. I know the bottom of the my diff housing was chewed up and had to be smoothed with a grinder.

Must be someone on here that has compared the two in terms of cooling?

jrc

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
id be intrested in knowing... aftermarket ones are high priced and if the 08+ diff cover is pretty comparible to the aftermarket one then i would go that route...

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Not only do they look better but a few degrees cooler back there won't hurt. They can be had for about 45.00 from a fella over at FTE, do a search on RiffRaff Performance Diesel, he has the SS bolts to for an additional charge but you can get those like mentioned above at stores for less or from moore20017.3 above. Mines rusting bad and that 08 cover is on my list, can't beat it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Best price I found was tascaparts.com arond 40$ if irc. the flange bolts were zinc coated figured that would be ok w/the alum.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
My guess is that it does provide better cooling then the steel ones. FMCO would not spend money on this unless there was a reason. Thinking stamped steel cost to produce would be much less then cast aluminum with cooling fins and factory install would be less critial as the AL one is pretty stiff compared to the steel one. Will be interesting to see how the AL one lasts in the field. I know the bottom of the my diff housing was chewed up and had to be smoothed with a grinder.

Must be someone on here that has compared the two in terms of cooling?

jrc
Ford used it to stiffen the pumkin slightly.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well this just got added to my want list.... lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think riffraff has a modded cover with a drain plug tapped in.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Wonder if the dually is the same now as then.

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Riffraff Diesel: 08 Superduty Rear Diff Cover

Did a bit of browsing... This is a good price, but ya have to pay extra for the bolts and drain plug...but well worth the $100. Even though it don't allow for extra fluid for cooling. It will still be way better then the stocker.

·
Registered
285 Posts
bought a 2008 cover for my 99, AND LOVVVE IT! used stainless hardware.:evil

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
I myself like the unpainted covers, due to in my mind the unpainted will cool better. I would like to do an experiment with a point and shoot temp gun. Ya the powdercoated diff covers help against rust and corrosion, and look good, but do they help with cooling as well as a uncoated cast aluminum diff cover? Maybe the difference in degrees is not worth noting. I don't know.

But a difference in 10 to 50 deg is a big difference in my mind.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts