Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Always Learning
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being totally new to the 6.0. I have asked many people that consider themselves "diesel" guys......why does everyone say to gets 06/07? So what are the differences? So far I have heard....different head studs, different oil cooler, hard lines on turbo, different turbo, different ficm, different programming, and different injectors. So are any of these true? Or does a 06/07 require the same upgrades/updates as a 03/04/05?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
05/07 are exactly the same, the trucks all still need the same bullet proofing. The only real difference in the 03/04.5 is the hpop intake, Turbo, dowel size in the head, front end and interior (dash) and seats

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,355 Posts
The 06's and up had some turbo slight improvements as well as the "commonization". Larger oil drain tube and solid supply line and "A Revised Machined Recess Turbocharger (5c3z-6k682-ca) Designed Exclusively To Address Corrosion Related Turbocharger Performance Is Now Available In Service." Also, in Nov. 2005, the MAF was deleted, then added back in in 2006.

The "bracket" for the STC fitting came out in July of 2006 (TSB-06-14-6), so some late production run 2006's got it and all of the 2007's got it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
HPOP, and the rest of the high pressure oil system. It's quite different in all areas. They all use the same oil cooler. The EGR coolers are different, but few run them anyhow. IIRC, 2003-2007 6.0s had three different turbos.

FWIW, 03-(early)04s are the loudest, both from the turbo and the HPO system.

·
D66stroke
418 Posts
HPOP, and the rest of the high pressure oil system. It's quite different in all areas. They all use the same oil cooler. The EGR coolers are different, but few run them anyhow. IIRC, 2003-2007 6.0s had three different turbos.

FWIW, 03-(early)04s are the loudest, both from the turbo and the HPO system.
Besides the turbo, how are they the loudest? Just curious because I've always noticed early 6.0's have more whistle to them and the "crackle" seems to be not nearly as loud or noticable

·
Registered
42 Posts
The 06's and up had some turbo slight improvements as well as the "commonization". Larger oil drain tube and solid supply line and "A Revised Machined Recess Turbocharger (5c3z-6k682-ca) Designed Exclusively To Address Corrosion Related Turbocharger Performance Is Now Available In Service." Also, in Nov. 2005, the MAF was deleted, then added back in in 2006.

The "bracket" for the STC fitting came out in July of 2006 (TSB-06-14-6), so some late production run 2006's got it and all of the 2007's got it.
What is the 'Bracket' you speak of and what purpose does it serve? Thanks, Allan

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Early 6.0's have always seemed to have more "cackle" to me. Like I can hear a early 6.0 and a later 6.0 idle, and tell a difference

·
D66stroke
418 Posts
I'm not talking about idle, I'm talking about WOT

·
Registered
351 Posts
03-04 turbos have loud whistle 10 blades on exhaust side vs. 05-07 has 13 blades.

At WOT you cant really hear my turbo, but regular driving my turbo whistle is really really loud. I am actually thinking about getting rid of it.

I have also heard the 03-04 turbos have lower EGT by 50-100*, dunno if its true tho.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,355 Posts
[/COLOR] What is the 'Bracket' you speak of and what purpose does it serve? Thanks, Allan
At first, Ford did not "buy into" the International "one-piece fitting" fix for the 05-07 HPOP STC fitting replacement. For about a year, they thought that they could install a steel bracket to brace the fitting ...... and prevent failures w/ this cheaper fix. The steel fitting is the same fitting that is now supplied (in plastic) for aligning the installation of the one-piece fitting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
At first, Ford did not "buy into" the International "one-piece fitting" fix for the 05-07 HPOP STC fitting replacement. For about a year, they thought that they could install a steel bracket to brace the fitting ...... and prevent failures w/ this cheaper fix. The steel fitting is the same fitting that is now supplied (in plastic) for aligning the installation of the one-piece fitting.
Thanks, so did the bracket do what they thought it would do? I have an 07 but the engine was built in 06 but I haven't been able to tell what month, if this was a 'fix' that had some success I would try and find that out and I wouldn't worry quite so much about doing the upgrade.
Thanks again for any help.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,355 Posts
The only way I can answer that question is that the bracket was a cheap fix and Ford abandoned that for the more expensive one-piece fitting. I can only assume that the bracket was not as effective as they would have liked.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The only way I can answer that question is that the bracket was a cheap fix and Ford abandoned that for the more expensive one-piece fitting. I can only assume that the bracket was not as effective as they would have liked.
Point taken, I won't scratch the STC fitting upgrade off of my 'to do' list just yet.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Besides the turbo, how are they the loudest? Just curious because I've always noticed early 6.0's have more whistle to them and the "crackle" seems to be not nearly as loud or noticable
Straight tube style oil manifold. The reasons for the revised oil rail was to stabilize pressure, but it was also to quiet down the hydraulic dynamics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts