Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change fluid and filter on my 07 6.0. Haynes manual says to drain the torque convertor and replace the convertor plug with a new one. Is it necessary to put in a new drain plug or can I reuse the old one? Thanks for any info! :smile:

·
Administrator
32,939 Posts
Haynes is worthless
Drain and fill is the DIY way
If it looks like it is in bad shape do more than one fluid swap over a few drive cycles .
Or have Ford do the heated exchange

Dont forget the toilet paper filter up front

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
and if you go the Ford route, check with your dealer to see if they have the heated-fluid machine. an in-town dealership didn't have it last i checked around here, but the rural dealership did (that one does LOTS of diesel work for oil field service trucks)

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,075 Posts
Haynes manual says to drain the torque convertor and replace the convertor plug with a new one.
I'm glad to see that Haynes is consistent. They are ALWAYS wrong or missing critical information. Ford hasn't had a drain plug in the converter since August, 2001.

Id reuse the drain plug if the o ring looks good.
When the converters did have drain plugs they didn't have o-rings. The drain plug was a standard 1/8" NPT pipe plug.

Haynes is worthless
Drain and fill is the DIY way
Absolutely correct.

and if you go the Ford route, check with your dealer to see if they have the heated-fluid machine. an in-town dealership didn't have it last i checked around here, but the rural dealership did (that one does LOTS of diesel work for oil field service trucks)
Heated flush machines are very rare. But the are absolutely required if you are going to flush the trans. Without a heated machine all they do is take your money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts