Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 F250 and I just installed a Kenwood DNX6140. I'm looking to replace the stock front and rear speakers with something a little better. I would like to run them off the hu without an amp. Anyone have any suggestions? Also what size speakers are stock in this truck? Thanks

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
So there are 6.5's in the front??? What's in the back?
Factory size is 6x8 in the front doors and then next to the rear seat in the C pillars (for crew cabs)

Oval speakers are used by the automakers to get a little more "bass" from the anemic stock stereo with a little compromise in sound quality. Round 6.5's should drop right in and sound much better specially at higher volumes and you will have more selection in that size.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
When you drop a 6.5 in the hole do you cover the exposed area of the oval or do you just leave it open JDC?
I left mine open, but plan to seal up the entire door in the future. The doors have at least 2 large openings already in the body cavity, so sealing off the gaps above and below the speaker itself will do little without sealing off the rest of the door.

Sealing the doors will change the speakers umm alignment (I believe is the terminology) from Open air, to infinite baffle, which is a form of a sealed enclosure. Basically you will get much improved midbass response as well as tighter control of the speaker (allowing it to play lower without breaking up)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Factory size is 6x8 in the front doors and then next to the rear seat in the C pillars (for crew cabs)

Oval speakers are used by the automakers to get a little more "bass" from the anemic stock stereo with a little compromise in sound quality. Round 6.5's should drop right in and sound much better specially at higher volumes and you will have more selection in that size.
Thanks, I was looking at the Alpine Type R speaker as an upgrade.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Thanks, I was looking at the Alpine Type R speaker as an upgrade.
Those should work good. Type R components or coaxials? Should sound good, hope you enjoy them.

A friend of mine has the type s in his tahoe and I haven't had too much time listening to them but they sound pretty good, type r should be a bit better.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Type R is going to require more power than is avail. with just headunit power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those should work good. Type R components or coaxials? Should sound good, hope you enjoy them.

A friend of mine has the type s in his tahoe and I haven't had too much time listening to them but they sound pretty good, type r should be a bit better.
Which do you recommend components or coaxials? What is the diffeence between the two?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Which do you recommend components or coaxials? What is the diffeence between the two?
For me, it depends on how you plan to power them, If your sticking with just HU power, then personally, I feel it would be a waste of money and the speakers to go with components. If you are planning on amping them at some point then I would most certainly go with components.

The difference between the two is that Coaxials are just your standard 2 or even sometimes 3-way speaker. They receive the same signal and will certainly work good, but won't have quite the same clarity or ultimate performance as the components (sometimes known as Seperates)

Type-R 6.5" Coaxials

A 2-way component set is comprised of a mid and a tweeter which are fed through a crossover which is designed to work in average installations of those particular speakers. The crossover will determine what range of frequencies the mid will play and what the tweeter will play and the seperation between the 2. This will require a slightly more complex installation and more options to tune. Components shine with power and more tuning since the mid is no longer hindered by a "coaxially" mounted tweeter

In a diesel world, coaxials are like an Edge or Banks chip, good improvement over stock, usually most that people will ever want or need.

Components are like getting a custom burned chip or mail order tune. Gives a better bang, but might require some supporting mods or such to get the most out of.

Active tuning (final tier) would be like getting your custom twin turbo bored/stroked nothing factory truck Live tuned on a dyno and on the street and finely tweaked till it is perfect for that application and combination of parts.

Hope that makes sense and helps ya out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me, it depends on how you plan to power them, If your sticking with just HU power, then personally, I feel it would be a waste of money and the speakers to go with components. If you are planning on amping them at some point then I would most certainly go with components.

The difference between the two is that Coaxials are just your standard 2 or even sometimes 3-way speaker. They receive the same signal and will certainly work good, but won't have quite the same clarity or ultimate performance as the components (sometimes known as Seperates)

Type-R 6.5" Coaxials

A 2-way component set is comprised of a mid and a tweeter which are fed through a crossover which is designed to work in average installations of those particular speakers. The crossover will determine what range of frequencies the mid will play and what the tweeter will play and the seperation between the 2. This will require a slightly more complex installation and more options to tune. Components shine with power and more tuning since the mid is no longer hindered by a "coaxially" mounted tweeter

In a diesel world, coaxials are like an Edge or Banks chip, good improvement over stock, usually most that people will ever want or need.

Components are like getting a custom burned chip or mail order tune. Gives a better bang, but might require some supporting mods or such to get the most out of.

Active tuning (final tier) would be like getting your custom twin turbo bored/stroked nothing factory truck Live tuned on a dyno and on the street and finely tweaked till it is perfect for that application and combination of parts.

Hope that makes sense and helps ya out.

Thanks, i appreciate the input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts