Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is going to be a tricky one.. or good challenge for the veteran 6.0 boys.

Few weeks ago I started having the typical 6.0 cluster failure, would push on the gauges and carry on no problem. (Truck would run either way) it’s a Harley and the clusters are like 700 bucks so just waiting till I have time off to send it away.

Did an oil change about 5 days ago, if that might play into this somehow.

Anyways. Drove to work, no problems. Came out to my truck to go for lunch, turned it over as usual, fired up. Ran for 1 second and died.

Tried it a few times and then got a ride home and left it there. Came back today, now it just cranks over and won’t fire at all. Battery’s seem weak at this point obviously.

Disconnected all my auto start box and such thinking it might be that, no luck, crawled underneath, now have an oil leak that I’ve never had coming from somewhere above the harmonic balancer it seems.

I do have injector clatter with KOEO

It’s throwing about 15,000 codes. Most to do with low voltage and fuel pressure. Low voltage most likely due to the low batts from cranking. And fuel pump seems to be turning on.

I’m a cummins Guy, at this point I’m not sure where to even start. Need some help guys, I can post exact code numbers if that would help. I want to start with the easy simple to get to stuff first before tearing into it, Much appreciated.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
welcome to the forum! I'm just going to start off with saying teh 6.0 vets on here are gonna want to see some engine parameters, if you have some type of obd2 monitor.
...BUT starting with the easy simple stuff like you mentioned: Look at the ICP and pigtail. See if the connector might be broken or a wire chaffed, or if there is any oil visible on the ICP itself. Next: Unplug the ICP sensor and try to start it.
...though, i'm not sure unplugging it will do you any good if your batteries are too low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
b
Join: Oct 2018

2 minutes ago
Your 6.0 no start
I had a very similar situation a few days ago and the problem was slightly low engine oil. I had also just had an oil change. The common rail injector manifolds are pressured up using engine oil. In turn, this enables the higher pressure required for injector operation. If you don't make enough pressure in the manifolds then the engine will not start up. I put a quart in and it fired up after a short wait to let the oil settle down. Hope this is helpful

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
great point, HEIU injection systems gotta have that oil! same goes for when the oil foams - can't compress foam enough to fire injectors

the corresponding engine pid coincidentally is the ICP value. if you read that value and it's low, then either theres no oil to pump, there's a leak, or the sensor itself isn't functioning correctly. plenty more we can go over later. Let us know!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys, my diagnostics hand held isn’t quite advanced enough to show ICP cranking oil press. FICM. Voltage etc. I’ve ordered a scan gauge. But I’m expecting it to be about a week, I’d really like to have this thing going over the weekend though.

Anyways, I spent a couple hours on it today, it’s in a parking lot 2 hours from home so not the easiest situation, none the less I did make some progress. I got it to start and run for about 4 seconds now. Which is better than the half second it would fire for before.

I chased all the main lumes running back towards the FICM which are all quite ratty. Seems like someone’s been messing with it in the past. I unplugged the ICP and it actually gave worse results than when plugged in.

I pulled the upper fuel filter cap. And cycled the key, no fuel filled into it. I also pulled the wire to the water sep/fuel pump down below on the frame. And got a no power reading to it.

On top of this I put 40Litres of fuel in, just to make sure my gauge wasn’t faulty and I ran it out of fuel.

Now before all this happened the truck had 0 leaks, wouldn’t leave a puddle anywhere. Was totally dry underneath. When I came back today, there was a large spot underneath that appeared and smelled to be diesel. It’s coming from right up around the front of the oil pan (slightly above) somewhere. Anything fuel system related around that area?

Thanks guys.

·
Train Whistlin' Ex driver
55 Posts
I'm new to the 6.0s as well, but, on the front of the engine there is the secondary fuel filter which has: the test port, pressure regulator cover, fuel inlet from the pump and the outlets for the cylinder heads (which could all leak); and the connections to the cylinder heads.
I did run mine out of fuel (showed 1/8th left though) and it took a good, 7-8 on/off cycles before it started.

·
Train Whistlin' Ex driver
55 Posts
Also, have you tried "hot-wiring" the fuel pump?

·
Registered
15 Posts
When was the last time both fuel filters were changed? The 6.0 engines are very finicky and temperamental and need to have good electricalsystem/batteries, alternator etc. I’ve had similar issues in the past and found out (with the help of powerstroke nation geniuses) that my lower filter had fallen apart (it wasn’t motorcraft) causing fuel delivery issues, since then I don’t use anything else but motorcraft filters, did a blue spring upgrade and haven’t had any issues since with the fuel system

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today I narrowed it down to no power in or out of the inertia switch. Fuel pump and filters are fine. I ended up wiring power straight to the pump with an in line fuse and toggle switch. Runs perfectly fine now, and got me home. Atleast now I can work on it in the shop. When I got it to fire a substantial amount of diesel poured down outta the rear passenger area of the engine bay. So not sure what that is. Thinking ICP related. Waiting for my scan gauge to see before I tear into that.

So as of right now I have no power in or out of intertia switch. I traced that wire over to the main fuse panel under the steering wheel, the relay for the fuel pump is built into the whole fuse panel, and it is clicking, but still no power. Not sure where to go now. Thanks boys really appreciate the help

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The icp cant leak diesel...
You're saying the fuel pump relay is built into the power distribution box and isnt serviceable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s what it seems like. Or there’s something else in line there making it not turn on. Could the IPR screen do that?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,216 Posts
Yes, the fuel pump relay is indeed built into the junction box and is not serviceable by itself.

·
Registered
543 Posts
you keep saying inertia switch, you mean the switch that cuts everything off in an accident????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct, truck runs fine with power jumped to the fuel pump. Before this no start issue my gauge cluster started to fail and get progressively worse, now to the point where unless I put pressure on the top plug to the gauge and reset them (get the cluster to flick on for a second) the truck will idle high, barely move, and cut out every few seconds, not die, but retard power. Also, when I start out the horn will honk 3 times every time I start up and pull away. I’m at a loss.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,216 Posts
Make sure the batteries have been individually charged and individually load tested. Post the cranking volts (either battery voltage or the FICM VPower voltage).

Replace the central junction box.

Have the instrument cluster rebuilt.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,216 Posts
Dropping to 9V even for a short while is low, but if you are happy with it, then great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts