Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ken G. 06 f350 4x4
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
I have f-350 dually, 06, 4x4. The other day the front left brake caliper locked up and over heated the rotor, smokin hot, orange hot, I was stuck on the side of the road in the middle of god's country, Let them cool then bleed the caliper to see if i could get it to open up.

This worked fine to get me home, Now i need to pull the hub apart to change rotors and calipers, I have not done a newer model truck of this size.

Any advice, do i need any special wrench? book's, website, i am concerned with the 4x4 hub and parts. The dealer want's to much for my pocket at this time. I need to do this myself.

Thank you for your time, Ken

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Its not hard other than you may need a BFH to get the old rotor off.

Those rotors are spendy if I remember right too

·
Ken G. 06 f350 4x4
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not real worried about the rotor or caliper i bought them months ago to carry with me as i travel alot.

I am more concerned over removal of the 4x4 gut's on the hub.
Thanks, Ken

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
There is ZERO involved with 4WD front hub internal parts, when replacing front rotors on these trucks. On a dual rear wheel truck, the only added labour involved, is with removal of the adapter that extends the wheel offset dimension to accomodate the dual rear wheel front wheel. Once you are at the point where you are ready to remove the front rotors (brake caliper and bracket removed), you'll need a 21mm chrome 1/2" drive (impact socket will not fit) socket and extension to remove all eight nuts that secure the hub adapter and rotor to the hub itself. I recommend using an impact gun to break them loose. Just take care not to shatter the chrome socket in the process. Once all eight are removed, soak all eight holes with liberal amounts of rust penetrant and knock the hub adapter loose, along with the brake rotor. When reinstalling with the new rotor, torque all eight nuts to 130 ft-lbs.

·
Steamfighter
1,094 Posts
Mine did the same thing , but I caught them before they got too hot . I try to clean the grooves the pads ride in once a year , due to that is what actually got stuck ( little spring clips were not strong enough to keep pads back)

·
Ken G. 06 f350 4x4
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reply, I have a full shop of tools, i just was not sure if i needed any special wrench as someone told me i did, And i have not tackled 4x4 hub in a long time. just tring to build up the confidence and drive to do it here in the 100 deg. heat. in the shade. Thanks again, Ken

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
Pull your wheel off, pull the caliper off then pull the rotor off. nothing to it. Reverse to re-assemble
The only difference with dual rear wheel applications, is that there is a hub extender fastening it to the rotor with eight additional 21mm nuts.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
He said he's doing the front though. It's simple. I had to replace calipers rotors and pads on the front of my 06 with less than 50k miles on my truck. Im at about 65k now and have to do the rear....

·
It wasn't me
1,232 Posts
He said he's doing the front though. It's simple. I had to replace calipers rotors and pads on the front of my 06 with less than 50k miles on my truck. Im at about 65k now and have to do the rear....
Holy bajeevers! How do you all drive. My brakes lasted over 100K...

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Holy bajeevers! How do you all drive. My brakes lasted over 100K...
I live in the snow belt of NY. My calipers seize all the time. It has happened on every Ford truck I've had. Last two years were the worst, I did a LOT of commuting on the thruway and it just takes a toll after a while. Doesn't really have anything to do with driving. I really need to start cleaning and lubricating the pins on the calipers every single spring.:doh:

·
It wasn't me
1,232 Posts
I live in the snow belt of NY. My calipers seize all the time. It has happened on every Ford truck I've had. Last two years were the worst, I did a LOT of commuting on the thruway and it just takes a toll after a while. Doesn't really have anything to do with driving. I really need to start cleaning and lubricating the pins on the calipers every single spring.:doh:
Okay. I've only driven in snow once so I have no clue what you are going through. BTW I think its 110 here today:doh:

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
It's not the snow itself, it's the salt they put on the roads to melt it or prevent it from sticking to the road. I love driving in the snow, but I hate what it does to the vehicles.

·
It wasn't me
1,232 Posts
It's not the snow itself, it's the salt they put on the roads to melt it or prevent it from sticking to the road. I love driving in the snow, but I hate what it does to the vehicles.
Okay. I love drivning in the snow. The one time I did it i tried to do a 180... i think i did about a 720 by the time I hit the snow bank...

·
Ken G. 06 f350 4x4
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all the help gang.
I did the front brake rotors and new calipers yesterday, friday 7-2-10
All went well, I had a buddy check the new rotors before i mounted them and it is a good thing because they were a little worped out of the box. 2-3 thousands off and they were good to go.
The only small pain in the butt was the dually adapter, to remove i had a friend hold the brakes to remove and to replace and torq down.
Other than that it went well, rides smooth again, took about 2- hrs. per side in my driveway. 124,000. miles on truck and pads looked good about half worn.. rotors not to bad other than left side worp and caliper on left side locked up.
Thanks again for any help. Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts