Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post will stir the pot. I just simply want to know if it is safe @ 104K to switch to synthetic oil. I have my own opinion already on oil, just want to know if it's safe to switch. Truck is more of a daily driver v. a haulin, puller. No extreme drivin, (use the black and white with the lights for that!)

Thanks in advace all.

Ithaca

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Always love the way my truck runs after an oil change, just make sure to buy the correct amount! Oh, and a motor craft oil filter, you can get em at Walmart.

·
Still learning
368 Posts
No problems at all here also. Just performed 2nd change with synthetic. Truck runs smoother and starts better. Hasn't burned any oil either. Pulled the guts out of it yesterday for 300 miles and oi level still at full.:redspotdance: I'm running 15w40 Royal purple. I just don't have the guts to go to 5w40. 80 000 miles on the clock.

Use IH filters they are cheaper than motorcraft. But I change fuel filters at every oil change.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
No problems at all here also. Just performed 2nd change with synthetic. Truck runs smoother and starts better. Hasn't burned any oil either. Pulled the guts out of it yesterday for 300 miles and oi level still at full.:redspotdance: I'm running 15w40 Royal purple. I just don't have the guts to go to 5w40. 80 000 miles on the clock.

Use IH filters they are cheaper than motorcraft. But I change fuel filters at every oil change.
Whats the price diff in motorcraft/IH for oil filters? I always get my fuel filters from IH cause its cheaper

·
Still learning
368 Posts
ih 1840752c91 $20.04
ih 1847170c94 $35.54

I don't know which is which but that isw what I just paid for fuel and oil.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Valvoline premium blue 5w40. Truck runs much better and I can drive it before it reaches 100* eot. It is expensive but worth it. I got mine from NAPA but most cummins dealers carry it too. Switched mine at 75K. Solved my coldstart issues for the most part.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Switchex to 5W-40 Valvoline Premium Blue at 125K and love the way the truck runs with it. Also as stated Motorcraft filter.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Switching to synthetic is the best thing you can do for that truck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Switch and sleep soundly.

No reason to be shy about 5W either, your truck will thank you on those cold starts....

·
Master of Disaster
68 Posts
Ive been running Rotella Syn 5-40 for 30K Truck has 118K on it now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts