Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lugnut
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday, I went to start the truck and it wouldn't even start, about 50 degrees out. That afternoon (warmer), it started fine but ran horrible for a few minutes. Lots of black smoke.

After a few mornings of tinkering, I discovered the batteries were weak. Replaced with 2 new ones.

Now it always starts, but is still running horrible at idle - surges RPM, sounds like it is missing. If I kick the throttle up above 1200 RPM, it seems to run well and then does the same thing when it returns to idle. Can't even see the neighbor's house at this point through the smoke.

Glow plugs test fine (resistance check at the GPCM connector), have taps on 2 wires (one each connector) and see good voltage on each, so I don't think there is a glow plug problem (would also expect it to still run poor/not at all at higher RPMs).

Pulled the ICP with it running, no change. Pulled with it off and started, still runs horrible, did get a code for low voltage on the ICP. Otherwise, no codes.

At the end of the day yesterday, it started and still idled poorly even at 80+ degrees.

Ideas? I'm kind of stumped. Fuel filters were done within the last 5k miles, oil is motorcraft 10-30 (changed a few months ago), fuel ran fine for the first 1/2 of the tank. Had dealer flash latest code in March (before warranty expired). SCT tuner with innovative tunes and about 46,000 miles on the truck. Haven't tried running the stock program yet to see if its still there, but suspect it would be.

Again, after I've run for just a mile or so, it seems to do just fine at idle.

·
Lugnut
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it run better once its warmed up?

Have you tested your FICM for 48v? Sounds like a classic case of a FICM dying.
It runs just fine warm - idle and down the road.

I was going to test FICM, but with it running good at higher RPM's, I was kind of discounting that as an issue. Does that fit in the profile of FICM issues?

·
Lugnut
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner - okay, loser. It was the FICM. Started at 47 V and dropped to 31 as soon as the injector buzzing started.

The capacitors were all soldered fine and those little SMT (surface mount) resistors _looked_ fine, but were indeed not soldered down in the middle. Clearly a defect from the manufacturing process that International/Ford should be stepping up to the plate on. That should be a recall item!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts