Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting here hopefully i can get some help. My brothers 05 Powerstroke 6 speed manual is starting very hard, kills the batterys, runs fine at operating temperature. Just had new injectors installed had the guy who did them for us run tests on them all working fine, new injector harness, glow plugs tested good, ficm tested good. Ive tried to do some research on this is it possible the rough starts are coming from weak batteries?

I

·
0 Posts
This is my first time posting here hopefully i can get some help. My brothers 05 Powerstroke 6 speed manual is starting very hard, kills the batterys, runs fine at operating temperature. Just had new injectors installed had the guy who did them for us run tests on them all working fine, new injector harness, glow plugs tested good, ficm tested good. Ive tried to do some research on this is it possible the rough starts are coming from weak batteries?
It is possible.. What oil is in the truck? Does it help if it's plugged in? Where are you located? Current tempature's cold?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were running 15w40 rotella, located in spokane washington so now its about 5 degrees, helps alot when its plugged in but still sounds and runs rough until it gets to operating tempertaure pretty fair amount of blue smoke as well

I

·
0 Posts
Were running 15w40 rotella, located in spokane washington so now its about 5 degrees, helps alot when its plugged in but still sounds and runs rough until it gets to operating tempertaure pretty fair amount of blue smoke as well
15W40 is too heavy in 5 degree temps.. A 5W40 or HD 10W30 does wonders for a 6.0 below 40 degree's..

I

·
0 Posts
Also, did you check battery voltage with the truck not running then running?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have 3 6.0s at the house between mine my dads and my brothers my dads and mine are fine with the same oil His is the only one with rough starts believe his batteries are weak though second time this year they have been dead with the rough starts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, did you check battery voltage with the truck not running then running?
No i havent yet i also wanted to load test the batteries any idea of how to do that with a volt meter, dont know how to set it really to figure out what amps those batteries are really kicking out.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You need a load tester for the batteries...It could be possible that the ficm is not getting enough voltage to send the 48 volt signal to the injectors thats a possibility but I'm not sure why it does it until it reaches operating temperature. Do you run any fuel additives?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah we all have been using Power service for along time now.

I

·
0 Posts
We have 3 6.0s at the house between mine my dads and my brothers my dads and mine are fine with the same oil His is the only one with rough starts believe his batteries are weak though second time this year they have been dead with the rough starts.
Your FICM requires that your battery's are at optimum voltage.. If they are weak, the symptoms will be similar to a bad FICM which will be the symptoms you decribe..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much guys were gonna go test the batteries probably get new ones believe there at least a few years old anyways. I'll post back the results.

I

·
0 Posts
Thank you very much guys were gonna go test the batteries probably get new ones believe there at least a few years old anyways. I'll post back the results.[/QUOTE]

That would be great if you did.. It may help someone here is the future.. Good luck with your brothers truck..

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
As atsah said, you really do need to run a lighter oil in such cold weather. Injector Stiction (or oil latching) doesn't just happen immediately. IMO you will eventually have injector issues w/ the other two trucks running 15W40 at the temps you described.

I

·
0 Posts
As atsah said, you really do need to run a lighter oil in such cold weather. Injector Stiction (or oil latching) doesn't just happen immediately. IMO you will eventually have injector issues w/ the other two trucks running 15W40 at the temps you described.
Yup, 15W40 just causes problems in cold temps that can simply be avoided by going to a lighter weight oil.. It doesn't make sense to me to make your truck struggle to start when it's cold.. It puts unnecessary strain on everything..

·
Coal Blower
569 Posts
05's are the worst year for the STC fitting to blow out. If it runs fine once started, i would say it's not the HPOP that took a dump, but the STC fitting is leaking like a whore.

here is how to test it...

Diesel Technician Society

Get the updated STC kit from ford, it's like 70 bucks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So had the batteries tested one was shot just went ahead and replaced both, night and day difference still runs a bit rough sounds like a miss in one of the cylinders gonna take it back to our guy let him start it up rough other than that runs great:bow:

I

·
0 Posts
So had the batteries tested one was shot just went ahead and replaced both, night and day difference still runs a bit rough sounds like a miss in one of the cylinders gonna take it back to our guy let him start it up rough other than that runs great:bow:
Good to know.. Yup, our trucks really depend or the battery's so the FICM and other things are getting what they need.. Thanks for posting back..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts