Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a no start, no crank issue, he drove it to church, came out and nothing, says he has good battery power, can see the glow plugs kicking in but that's it. We will check all fuses but is there any common problems like this? the starter makes NO noise what so ever, no solenoid noise at all, so I'm thinking more electrical fuse, fuseable link bad starter relay kind of thing. Thanks for any help.

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
My '01 pulled that on me a few years ago. It turned out it was my neutral start switch had gotten a bunch of dirt in the connection, and I couldn't even get the solenoid to click. Does he/she do a lot of playing in mud, water, dirt road driving. Not saying that's the problem, but it's a pretty easy and cheap thing to look at. It should be down around your trans linkage, and on mine it's the only electrical thing under there.;)

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about the neutral start safety switch but I didn't realize it was mounted on the trans? we just got 15" of wet sloppy snow, so if it's on the trans, that could be it. we'll check it, thanks.

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
I was thinking about the neutral start safety switch but I didn't realize it was mounted on the trans? we just got 15" of wet sloppy snow, so if it's on the trans, that could be it. we'll check it, thanks.
No problem, the snow is keeping me from doing much as well. Oh well, it IS winter!LOL

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
Just remembered what I did to get it home. Tuned key on, and jumpered with a screwdriver across the starter solenoid. A bit of a pain, but it will get it running. Then I cleaned all the sand/dirt out of the boot, once I figured out what it may have been.;)

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
btw, my buddies no start was a bad starter, he had it towed to the dealer and they put a starter in it to the tune of 8 bills:eek:

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
8 bills for a starter job.. omg... I can have one changed out in 3 minutes... fawk....

and the reason why I say to unplug the fan is because they are onthe same circuit as the transmission range indicator.... if the fan clutch shorts, which they do often, it takes the indicator out and no crank

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
There is a yellow with light blue striped colored wire adjacent to the passenger side battery in the engine compartment, near the vacuum pump that has a "squeeze-and-pull" type connection. Disconnect it, and jump the male end of the connector to the passenger side battery positive terminal. The starter should crank when you do this (if the starter is functional).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts