Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
If everything around the turbo checks out then it can only be so many things....have you checked the Y pipe they are famous for cracking, VGT veins stuck ( with the IDS manually control the VGT duty cycle ) CAC Tube hose split, and I know this may sound stupid but have you removed the air filter and tried to run it up...could be as simple as a clogged air filter...don't laugh, I've seen it happen in a dealership where a guy had a F250 for 3 days and couldn't figure out the lack of power problem....and after replacing the turbo, fuel filters, Y pipe and FICM, I asked him if he checked the air filter..he laughed but it wasn't funny when he removed the air filter and it pegged the boost gauge....
Funny you mention that. I had an E-Series bus darken my doorstep about a month ago, brought in by an independent shop with the same complaint. They suspected the turbo needed replacement, thinking the repair would be covered under warranty. It took me all of ten minutes to notice the air filter restrictor gauge was bottomed out. I took the air filter out, and power was instantly restored!!! The air filter was an aftermarket no name brand that said MADE IN CHINA!!! Replaced the air filter and charged RETAIL for the diag (I charge for stupidity). CHECK THE BASICS, CHECK THE BASICS, CHECK THE BASICS.

·
Word
608 Posts
The Newer reflashes from Ford took the MAF out of the PID loop for all 6.0 trucks equipped with a MAF sensor...the reflash tells the PCM not to look at the MAF PID...with the VGT% are you looking at actual or desired ? I would almost bet my life you have a Y-Pipe that's cracked or a stuck VGT ring....considering you've checked all the intake plumbing and tubes...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I actually started taking the turbo off before I left work yesterday so I will know Tuesday, also I did reflash the truck, we reflash any powerstroke
that we buy. The only thing that makes me Leary about the
af is the egr self test, one of the test when running it looks at pids and theaf is one of them, it wants the voltage at idle around 1-1.4v I believe and it was .7

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
pulled the turbo off and took the exhuast housing off, no build up and viens move freely, so im not sure where else to start, this truck is frustrating me. no exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I decided to pull the down pipe and I was amazed at what I had found! An exhaust turbine wedged in the down pipe. Truck runs fine with pipe off turbo and ####ty with it on, I pulled the cat off and it made no difference. So I didn't think it was exhaust related. Well thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I decided to pull the down pipe and I was amazed at what I had found! An exhaust turbine wedged in the down pipe. Truck runs fine with pipe off turbo and ####ty with it on, I pulled the cat off and it made no difference. So I didn't think it was exhaust related. Well thanks guys!!!!
Similar Problem with 06 f250, what ended up needing to be replaced?

·
Registered
136 Posts
So, you are saying that a turbo blew and nobody went looking for the wheel and left it in the exhaust?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts