Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a detailed write up of what it takes to do the 05 and up coil front end conversion? Some say it's mostly a bolt on project, other say some custom lines or parts are needed.
Going to look at an 05 front end this aftenoon and would like to know what I'm getting into. Thanks

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
You win the lotto???

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I did I'd just go buy a new truck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had stainless brake lines made, but your original ones might be fine.

If you are keeping the '99-04 steering gear box, you will need to make a custom tie-rod. The '05-07 lower is 1"-16 RH and so is the '99-04 upper tie-rod end is the same, 1"-16 RH.

Drill a few holes for the radius arm brackets, a few for the coil buckets and I think 2 for the track bar bracket.

Majority of the holes are there, so alignment is cake.

You will need:
radius arms and brackets, track bar and upper bracket, drag link, shocks, sway-bar and links, coil buckets and coils, lug nuts for different thread pattern on the wheel bearing studs

Coil buckets will use 7/16" bolts.

I can't remember what the others are off the top of my head.

That should give you an idea. I did my conversion over a weekend.

·
Word
608 Posts
Odd...my stock lug nuts off my 2005 fit perfect on my friends 1999....

·
Fabricator/Mechanic
129 Posts
I did this swap on my Excursion and the handling is sooo better. I will find the link. As for the drag link I just used a tie rod reamer, and enlarged the tierod hole in the pitman arm. It is surprisingly bolt on mostly, just enlarge the existing holes, I also welded the radius arm brackets after bolting them and it became even more sturdy of a platform. Front driveshaft needed shortened and rebalanced.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As for the drag link I just used a tie rod reamer, and enlarged the tierod hole in the pitman arm. It is surprisingly bolt on mostly, just enlarge the existing holesQUOTE]

You know what the reamer size is and where you bought it? I was going to go that route but I couldn't find the right reamer.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Anyone have a detailed write up of what it takes to do the 05 and up coil front end conversion? Some say it's mostly a bolt on project, other say some custom lines or parts are needed.
Going to look at an 05 front end this aftenoon and would like to know what I'm getting into. Thanks
I would talk to OBSWIZ. It sounds like he has done quite a few of them.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
PM me..have all you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts