Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Project Shamu
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, so a few of you might know that I recently purchased a 2008 Dana 60 out of a truck to swap into "Shamu", my OBS. Well, I would never think twice about driving on used brakes, so I want to buy all new calipers, rotors and pads. But I got to thinking, could I upgrade them at the same time? I notice in 2013, they stepped up to bigger rotors and calipers. Going from a 13.66" rotor, to 14.3" rotor, but they left the caliper piston sizes at 2.36" throughout.

So, has anyone put 13'+ brakes on a 05-12 axle? I found one thread that mentioned a spacer or some adapter for the caliper, but it was very vague. An adapter I can make, thats no problem, I just dont want to buy $3-400 in brake parts and then none of them work.

Or has anyone put F450 brakes on a 05+ axle? I understand the brakes are even bigger, and would require 19.5"+ wheels I believe. I am running 18" wheels so thats a little out of the question for me (unless someone knows otherwise).

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,400 Posts
I don know about the 13+ brakes, I don't even know if the e-brake drums are the same sizes, but I know the 450 stuff wouldn't work because it's meant for dually hubs. You could always join the dually club though....just sayin

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Project Shamu
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I see the rotor heights are the same for 99-04 F450s as 99-12, which is still a 14.5" rotor, and you can get them in an 8x170 pattern.

I dont care about the rear as of now, just the front.

I'm not going dually either... I'm already powdercoating my SRW bed! Lol

·
Project Shamu
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Upon a little further investigation. I see that literally EVERYWHERE I look, manufactures are calling out the F450 and F550 to have a 8x170mm pattern for the 99-04's and 10x170mm for the 05+. But yet, we know for a fact they are 8x220 and 10x220. What gives? Is every manufacture out there just giving out incorrect info? I've spent the last 2 nights trying to decipher quite a bit of info, but RockAuto, Oreilly's, AutoZone, Napa, and everywhere else, all shows the same info.

24hrs and nobody has any hard evidence that this can be done?

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, I checked the hub bearing assemblies, and they all call out 170mm bolt patterns as well. What gives?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I put drilled and slotted rotors w/ceramic pads on mine. It made stopping a much less dramatic experience.

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk

·
Project Shamu
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put drilled and slotted rotors w/ceramic pads on mine. It made stopping a much less dramatic experience.

That is an option. But I'm looking for larger rotors/calipers for now. Increased rotor size = more braking leverage and more heat dissipation. All while having (I think) more sq/in of pad contact on the rotor, further improving stopping distance.

Anybody have any more info?

·
Registered
105 Posts
That is an option. But I'm looking for larger rotors/calipers for now. Increased rotor size = more braking leverage and more heat dissipation. All while having (I think) more sq/in of pad contact on the rotor, further improving stopping distance.

Anybody have any more info?
The drilling and slotting takes care of heat dissipation, larger rotors do not always mean more pad, just means larger rotors.
I understand wanting larger rotors. After. I was done with performance mods, my stock brakes were less than adequate, after some "white knuckle and heart stopping stops, I immediately upgraded to the d & s rotors. The stopping power is excellent, and probably cheaper than a whole new brake set up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts