Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok who here has an 05 f250 that has done upgrades other then exhaust and intake? I want too know what tunes and other upgrades i can do that wont smoke the heads or engine....let me know what u did and how u like it ...thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
ok who here has an 05 f250 that has done upgrades other then exhaust and intake? I want too know what tunes and other upgrades i can do that wont smoke the heads or engine....let me know what u did and how u like it ...thanks
An EGR delete and a mild tune from SCT.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
EGR Delete highly recommend the Full EGR Delete from Adam at First Coast Diesel Performance

Head studs are a must if you want to do a programmer

SCT with custom tunes is the only way to go i would contact tony wildman with total diesel performance and he will treat your right

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks ...is the egr delete hard to put in? I work on trucks and cars all the time but there gas???

·
Registered
321 Posts
An egr delete is not that bad of a job me and my buddy installed a GoGo intake manifold a few months ago and it took us about 6hrs or so. My turbo was just sitting in the pedestal and there was only 1 bolt in my pedestal so that saved me a ton of time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I disagree, i dont think that studs are a must especially if he is only going with a mild tune, this being said get an SCT with custom tunes not some canned tunes like Edge, ect... I have an 05 and have been pulling the $#!t out of my truck lately and have Dfusers agressive tow tune and pro race and have not had any trouble with heads (knock on wood).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I disagree, i dont think that studs are a must especially if he is only going with a mild tune, this being said get an SCT with custom tunes not some canned tunes like Edge, ect... I have an 05 and have been pulling the $#!t out of my truck lately and have Dfusers agressive tow tune and pro race and have not had any trouble with heads (knock on wood).

This is all a matter of how you drive your truck!! if you drive like grandpa and just cruise around you probably wont have any issues but if your at the track every weekend you ARE going to have issues eventually but thats just part of it..

That being said i have had trucks with no tunes that needed headgaskets it is a common problem on the 6.0 due to only having 10 headbolts per head. I highly recomend headstuds if you plan on keeping the truck and plan on running ANY type of tune.

·
<--won't start
235 Posts
i have an 05' f250 as well
i've blown 2 HG, truck has never had any mod of any sort. Only things on it is a 4" turbo back and an aftermarket intake. first HG went at 102,000 (very convenient) Second HG just went at 135,xxx. Its getting the studs now & egr delete, but damn i wish i'd been doing my research just a bit earlier.

To the OP, the amount of money i've spent is now become silly and thats money spent on NO FUN type sh!t....but if i had done it right to begin with, i wouldnt (most likely) have to be dealing w/ it for a second time. You can hope for the best but prepare for the worst IMO

·
Registered
64 Posts
Basically what im getting at is I think that a custom tune that is nothing too hot will help your truck dependability wise. These guys that write the tunes know that this motor has HG problems and will keep the cylinder pressures in check which is the main cause of HG failure. Also many of these tunes do not run the EGR which eliminates another problem area. I think it would be wise to get a set of guages that way you can monitor everything properly.

That being said, yes if you plan on running the dog pi$$ out of your truck and dragging it HG will be a necessity but from what i gather on the OP i dont think he plans on doing either of these. The head bolts in his 05 have different torque specs than earlier models. Since your already out of warranty save your money and do HGs when necessary.

·
Still learning
368 Posts
Basically what im getting at is I think that a custom tune that is nothing too hot will help your truck dependability wise. These guys that write the tunes know that this motor has HG problems and will keep the cylinder pressures in check which is the main cause of HG failure. Also many of these tunes do not run the EGR which eliminates another problem area. I think it would be wise to get a set of guages that way you can monitor everything properly.

That being said, yes if you plan on running the dog pi$$ out of your truck and dragging it HG will be a necessity but from what i gather on the OP i dont think he plans on doing either of these. The head bolts in his 05 have different torque specs than earlier models. Since your already out of warranty save your money and do HGs when necessary.
Well put. My philosphy is the same. Just know when you do it this way you may have to pay to play.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I would do head studs, and an EGR delete. It's rather cheap insurance for what could happen. It sure would suck to loose a head gasket a few hundred miles from home.
Fact is, its a common problem most people that are aware of it tend to address it. I know a few people that have had problems with the head gaskets with minimal modifications. A buddy of mine with an intake/ exhaust, and a diablo programer on his 05' lost the head gaskets and warped the heads sitting in the driveway warming up.
And an EGR delete would put a warm feeling inside of me, knowing if it fails it could trash the oil cooler ($$$$) :lookaround:

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
Some good suggestions in this thread but also alot of dumb ones.

OP: Save up for the power mods. First thing you need to do to that truck is full EGR Delete and Studs (make sure the heads/block are flat,etc.). I don't give a #### if you baby it or drag it every damn day you will need studs at one point or another.

Gauges: Water/Oil Temp, Fuel Pressure, EGT

Fuel: Drill out the banjo bolts and put an AirDog on it

Tune: Eric at Innovative or Doug at GoGo

Enjoy a truck that has been prepped to the best of your abilities to with stand the added power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts