Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I know ive seen other posts on here and other sites as well, with people having trans shift problems after installing a downloader, such as my BullyDog GT. On some of the other posts, people were saying they shifted too firm, some said too soft, etc..Well, heres my problem...I have a 2004 F350 6.0 with the Troqshift autonmatic trans and 4x4, when I install the power download, which is shift on the fly, and has 4 power levels including stock, and Im in the performance or extreme levels, my trans, when shifting from 3-4, jerks very hard, shakes the whole truck, sounds as if something jumped off a gear tooth or something, I dont really know how to explain it, but anyway, it jerks harshly, then finally after a couple of tries, it goes into 4th, and then when it goes to 5th, it seems to go up and down, up and down with the rpm's a few times, then finally settles into overdrive. I returned the truck back to stock, and it seems to shift perfectly. Also, around this same time, I noticed my truck has lost power, it seems as if you're pulling a load or somthing when you start to take off at a stop sign or something, and when youre on the interstate and floor it to pass or something, again, it feels like youve got a large load behind it, or maybe how it would feel if it were starved for fuel or something, just holding back and very slow to build rpm's. I mean, in stock power, I know its not going to be super strong feeling, but it used to take off fairly hard. What all this has me wondering is, could something like the torque convertor have locked up in my trans when I had the programmer on it, causing the problems with the 3-4 shift, and stuck, just never unlocked or something, and now its taking too much power to get it moving with the truck at stock power level, or do the problems sound like theyre probably unrelated?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
So your having trans issues after installing a bullydog? I would say give the bullydog away and get a SCT.

That being said your experience could be with torque converter lockup, as it sounds similar to my 6.0 on a race file. However, mine does not seem nearly intense as yours. If my converter is locked the 3-4/3-5 shift is pretty harsh, truck moves back and forth like someone learning to drive a stick. The loss of power could just be the converter locking as you get on the gas, it's not really a lack of power, but just a drop in RPM's as it's locks. Feels strange when you haven't had it happen before. I'm not saying it is TQ converter lockup you are feeling, but it sounds very similar...

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
:whs: Ditch the bullydog and get you a custom tuned SCT!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, but just saying, it isnt what id call a firm shift into 3-4, like I said, it almost feels like the kind of jerk I used to experience when I had my 91 bronco with big tires, and still had the factory automatic hubs, when they got in a strain, theyd let loose with a bang, you could hear the metal ringing it would jerk so hard. Its almost that kind of bang when it tries to go into 4th. Anyway, if it IS the convertor locking up, which as 06powerstroke stated above, I havent had happen before, or never experienced this feeling, is there any way I can stop this from happening, and get back to the way it was before, when it felt like it had enough power to get out of its own way?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Does it still feel like it lacks power when it is turned back to stock? Either way I wouldn't put a bullydog on my truck, these transmissions don't like generic tuners.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my Edge did the same thing when i had it on the truck. i went with an SCT also and ditched the Edge. night and day difference on the trans and power. i would GIVE the Bullydog away and get an SCT.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the truck is returned back to stock now, and this is when im feeling the lack of power. The trans shifts fine right now while its returned to stock, but its when you install the download and go to performance or extreme when the trans jerks so bad. hylife03, did your truck do the trans jerking thing when you had the edge on it, or did it do the lack of power thing Im describing after you returned the truck back to stock, or both?

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
There isn't anything in the bullydog for actually altering the transmission tuning. There is some torque management changes to try to help, but as you can see. It doesn't work very well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I appreciate the info, but now that the bullydog is gone, off the truck, Im experiencing a lack of power from what stock used to be. I at first thought it could be the torque convertor locked up, but I was just driving it and noticed when I first crank it up and drive, it seems to have full power, then about 8 or 10 seconds later, you can still have your foot to the floor, and all at once, you can feel it lose power, just like something cut about 50 horse from it. Any ideas from anybody what that is??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pulled the battery cables and let it sit for an hour and a half at work last night, and for whatever reason, when I hooked them back up, everything seems to be back to normal. I took the interstate on the way home this morning, and she pulled hard everytime I nailed the throttle, and would spin the tires a bit when I took off at every stop too, like it used to do! I hope it STAYS that way, but thanks for everybody's input.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Seems like that bullydog messed with the trucks head a littleLOL Don't even go near it again! If you want tunes, find yourself a SCT. Glad to hear you got it back to normal!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I was running an edge on mine for a looooooong time, when i finally did all my stuff (listed below) the tranny lasted about a month...... so hopefully you didnt have that bullydog on yours too long....... but this could be the begining of the end for that tranny

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I ran the bully dog for about 5000 miles and I'm paying for it now. My transmission did that same thing. (Try putting about a quart of tranny fluid in it. It will help). I have an sct now. My truck feels sluggish now that you said something. But the tranny shifts like that every now and then with it being stock. Ill probly need a rebuild here before to long

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the input. Ive seen several people talking about SCT on here, some say Gearhead, some say Matt, etc...I dont really know who any of these people are, or where theyre from, and whos is best, etc...Anybody got any suggestions? I mean, a couple of yall said GIVE the bd away, but hell, Ive got 600 bucks in it, cant exactly afford to do that, but since it works on different makes and models, maybe I can get rid of for a price to somebody soon.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
i'd reccommend matt at gearhead for tunes , he has done good with my trucks. and excellent customer service.

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
I like Elites tunes they pull harder on the big end IMO

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts