Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 F350 6.0 4x4. Rear u-joint is bad. Press old one out, get new moog replacement...when I press it into the yoke I can get the retaining clip on one side but not the other....it is as if the yoke is too narrow by a few thousandths...I am at a loss as to what the problem could be. Anyone have any ideas? Yoke bent?

thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Jetlag,

Could be... did you support the yoke as you pushed the old bearings out? When I did my front half axles I could see the yoke flex if I didn't have it fully supported.

Cj

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a larger diameter socket under the yoke which allowed the bearing cup to press out.

·
Administrator
8,049 Posts
check to make sure one of the needle bearings did not pop loose and end up in the cap preventing it from seating all the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to pull it apart, I am certain on did not...I was real careful. Will advise when I get it apart

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to replace the U joint on previous '08 F250 and couldn't get one of the retaining clips in either. Must have bent it slightly pressing it apart using sockets and lg C clamp.. Saw recommendations where you could place threaded rod or long bolt and washers with nuts inside the yoke and spread apart by moving the nuts and the washers apart carefully. I measured probably 12 different yokes at the parts stores and ended up purchasing new spicer yoke from Ford. I didn't want one side to spread more than the other just to get the retainer in place, a balance, vibration problem was what I was trying to eliminate from the start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled it back apart, no needle bearing or anything. I read on another site to whack the yoke with a hammer while you press the caps in.....keeps things from binding and slightly compressing the yoke....worked like a charm.
thanks all for yourhe,o

1 - 7 of 7 Posts