Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys...…..1st post...…..Anyways, My dad bought the truck new and last yr I bought it from him with a VERY bit of persuasion lol. A bit of back ground, dads been a Mac Tools dealer since 86 and I've been around shops and tools all my life and have a Major tool collection the older I've gotten(says the wife). Reason I say this is 1, dad never really needed a vehicle because the tool truck was his work ride so he had a lot of toys(Truck only has 26000 miles on it now) and 2 because I've never taken my stuff for anyone to work on so I'm pretty handy.

He had a lot of stuff already done and some I've done in the last yr. EGR delete, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring, SVT Livewire.

Deltas are good and I don't beat the truck, never tow the boat with a heavy tune

Now my ?....I have a small oil leak that I cant find to save my life! Checked everything the internet can come up with!

Its a small leak, 1 drop while sitting over night. hanging from the bellhousing. I've checked everything on top, the valley is completely dry. I've put die in it the last 2 oil changes and I'm still looking . lol

It looks like its dripping off the bottom starter bolt and running down the bellhousing. On a long run or pulling the boat to the beach it may drip a bit more and onto the trans lines but not that much when just driving to work and around. I know about the HPOP cover leaking but the back and sides of the engine are dry. The glow plugs and harness are dry. Bedplate is good and the crank and cam sensors. Very small seepage from the dip stick. Also my truck has the ICP on the valve cover.

This had lead me to believe the rear main is leaking slowly but with the leak seeming to be starting at the starter bolt is weird ......And with the truck just idling there is no leak it needs at least a spin around the block.

Any ideas and I will be glad to check them. I'm a small guy and trust me I've crawled all over the engine bay and haven't come to a definite leak even with die.

Sorry for the long post just wanted to help anyone with info that may want to help me.Thx

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
It’s probably the upper oil pan right at the back. Either that the bed plate. If your rocker boxes, HPOP cover, glow plug harnesses are dry that’s really the only place they’ll leak. Rear main leaks aren’t all that common.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. I got back under there today with the black light. With my mirror I can see the back of the starter/bedplate area. The bottom half of the starter “hole” is wet(seepage). The last bedplate bolt behind the starter is dry.

I suppose the pan spacer/adapter at the corner could be it but the area of that oil pan that sticks out under the starter on top is dry.

Or is possible it could be the rear plate between the engine and transmission is leaking right at the bedplate.

I guess I just need to quit looking at it and drive on. Lol. It’s a very very small leak. Mostly hanging drip.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,067 Posts
Mine has the same leak. 1 drop hanging off bellhousing. I’ll fix it when it leaves puddles. It’s been like that for 6 years.
Mine has had the hanging drop since (almost) new. 12-13 years. No puddle yet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts