Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some problem diagnosing my truck. It starts just fine hot or cold, FICM voltage is showing 54.5 volts on the scangauge IPR at idle is 22.5% and 77.6% at WOT. IPC pressure at idle is no less then 644 and I can get it up to about 2800 at maybe 1/3rd throttle. If I'm cruising down the road and floor it the IPR goes to 77.6 and my ICP drops to 933 or less and the truck just falls off. I replaced the IPC, replaced both fuel filters, and did the blue spring kit and am still having the same problem. I'm thinking I have a HPOP going bad. I'm running the 8k tow tune from Gearhead and am going to try the stock file just to rule out something there. The plan is to do EGR delete, headstuds, new oil cooler, and coolant filter at the end of March so maybe a new HPOP too? Unless somebody has any other ideas. Thanks for any input

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
It could be the HPOP.
How is the oil level? Is there any brass materiel in it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil level is good, have about 7000 miles on current oil with rev x and 5-40. After the mods in march I'm going to do 5000 mile intervals. As far as brass I couldn't tell ya. Also truck has puked on and off for awhile now and when the temps drop my heater blows cold. Deltas have been way apart too.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Do you have any way to command the EGR valve to 70%?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any way to command the EGR valve to 70%?
Not sure, its been welded shut for about 100,000 miles. Are you thinking my EGR cooler has finally failed?

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
The valve itself is welded shut or the cooler?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Dunno. I thought that the valve might be letting coolant into the intake, but I guess not....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya not sure on that. I can pull the EGR and look for wet though. I don't get any strange smoke, a little grey/blue at cold start followed by a grey haze for a little bit. Since this new problem started though I get a lite black smoke at WOT which I never had before running the 8k tow tune.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Might be something with your turbo.... Maybe its sticking slightly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point. Boost gets near 25 lbs still but I'll load up the VGT duty cycle into my scangauge and monitor that. Anyone know what the codes are for VGT duty cycle?

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
Aren't those IPR#'s off a good bit? They seem to be pointing towards a HP leak somewhere. And you should be able to build more pressure than that at WOT. Looks like some testing is in your future:poke:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've seen where some people get into the low 80's on IPR at WOT and anything over 20 at an idle seems normal. Mine gets to 77.6 just as soon as you mash it but the truck just falls on its face. I can't really think I have a HPOP leak since I have zero starting issues. I do think I have a weak pump though. But like you say.....more testing

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
AE would be your best friend about right now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I loaded some more gauges into my scangauge and wanted to post the numbers. I put the truck back to stock also. VGT at WOT is 36 making 25lbs of boost. I saw as high as 85 on theVGT duty cycle at idle .ICP Volts went to 1.23 at WOT and .85 at idle. IPR still hits exactly 77.6 @WOT. My ICP volts seem low, I think I read that it should go as high as 4.7 volts. So with these numbers does anyone have any new ideas?

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
85% VGT duty cycle means the veins are completely open.
Yes, your ICP voltage should be around 4.5 at that time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the low voltage to the ICP, maybe a new wiring harness to the ICP should be my next step?

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Go buy the pigtail and see what it reads afterwords.

sent from my Smart Car

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to give an update on this thread. I installed ARP's and ford gaskets, new ford oil cooler, IPR gen 2 egr delete along with their up pipe and heavy duty oil screen, performance machine coolant filter kit, ELC coolant, and factory ford HPOP. Every o ring was replaced and the IPR got a rebuild kit. I couldn't find any o ring damage anywhere but my old oil screen had some debris on it and was torn in one spot. The IPR also had some debris and was partially cocked to one side at the end. I believe the IPR and the HPOP were both to blame for my running issues and I just couldn't see being that far into the motor and not doing the HPOP. Anyway, my truck runs excellent now and I'm loving my truck again.

·
Six Point Slow
83 Posts
I would dead head the HPOP first and see what your number are there on a mechanical gauge. If on cranking it doesn't get to at least 5000 psi the pump is shot or at least on its way out. I would lean more toward an IPR valve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts