Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on the forum, I have a 2004 f350 with a 6.0 that took me a while to get figured out. Since I bought this truck it has been studded, egr deleted, 4 new injectors, new oem turbo, map, baro and ebp sensors. Running SCT X4 on their street tune. Finally got it running great so I decided to change the oil and used 15 quarts of motorcraft 15w40 with a motorcraft filter. Since doing this the truck now smokes a greyish bluish smoke on startups that smells like fuel and goes away once I drive down the road for a bit and it warms up. It does it on cold starts in the morning as well as warm starts after the truck has sat for only a few hours but the smoke will always go away once fully warm. The truck does not use a drop of coolant or any oil. It did not seem to do this with the old oil that was in it which I'm assuming the shop that did the work for me had put in it after all the motor work. Is this normal or should I worry? Am I using the right oil ? I have read other forums and guys say not to worry about it as it is a sticky injector but I would like to get a second opinion. The truck spins like a top and has no codes.

Thanks, Antonio

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can’t really speak to the 6.0, but my 02 7.3 will do the same thing when cold as in below 30 degrees Fahrenheit or so. It’s a light bluish/grey haze for about 10 minutes or so. Probably just injector(s) in my opinion. As long as it doesn’t use any oil or coolant and starts well when cold I wouldn’t worry about it

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
This might sound odd, but check your glow plugs and the glow plug controller. It's warm enough now that glow plugs aren't needed to start, but they still help keep initial startup clean and quick. I've seen an engine exhibit the same thing suddenly and nothing made sense as to why it happened out of nowhere. One day we had a cold snap and his truck wouldn't start. Swapped out GPCM and miraculously the morning exhaust haze stopped. Unplugged the GPCM and it came back. There are plenty of other possibilities, but if this happened out of nowhere it's a place to start looking...or at least an area. Might even be just a couple bad glow plugs. Oh, and an oil change, in and of itself, would have zero impact on this issue. Stiction? While a little Archoil or Rev-X is a welcome thing in our engines, stiction usually restricts how much fuel goes into the cylinder. And honestly, it could just be the street tune putting out a little too much fuel for a cold engine to burn thoroughly, and you never noticed it before.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Use motorcraft Diesel 10w30 next time.

The fuel system runs on oil so using something different does change it, you might try to see what was in it last time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts