Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 f450. early 04 build with 04 motor. 60k miles. Changed the thermostat yesterday. In doing so. I removed the air box, intercooler line, radiator hose, EBP sensor and mount, and had to disconnect the fuel line to the fuel filter to get one of the thermostat nuts out as I did not want to bend the line. Put it back together and all was fine. Truck worked all day with no issues.

Started the truck at the last job of the day to head home and it didn't sound right. Turbo sounds to be stuck maybe. Sounds like it is making a lot of boost at very light throttle. If you are driving easy down the road and let off easy you get the cha cha cha of the boost going back through the air box.

To add to that. While driving easy say 40 mph the truck will stumble/studder/shake and blow enough blue smoke to cloud out the entire road. Seems like an injector issue. Then clear up for a few minutes.

If you rev the truck up to around 1800 rpms under no load you can hear the turbo working really hard and surge when you let off. It also has a slight stumble/ miss at 1800rpms and higher under no load along with the rpm will vary on its own +/- 200rpms while trying to hold it at 1800.

I am really at a lose here when I am normally fairly good at figuring these things out. Is it possible the EBP sensor when bad from removing and re installing it? Would that explain the issues? I checked all the connectors on the PCM,FICM,EBP sensor and everything else in the area I was working.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If it really is an early 04(ICP under turbo) and has been to Ford in the last 5 years the EBP sensor will not factor into any problems. If it is a later 04(ICP on right valve cover) it will use the EBP sensor. To me your problem sounds like a "turbo vane sticking" problem. Just guesses from this side. Test,verify,repair.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it really is an early 04(ICP under turbo) and has been to Ford in the last 5 years the EBP sensor will not factor into any problems. If it is a later 04(ICP on right valve cover) it will use the EBP sensor. To me your problem sounds like a "turbo vane sticking" problem. Just guesses from this side. Test,verify,repair.
I will verify it is an early 04 tomorrow. This started when my worker was driving the truck. I took it for a ride when he got home and I was positive the turbo was stuck. Then just before I turned onto my road, at light throttle, it started to miss, lose power, and was blowing all sorts of blue smoke. It was like the injectors were dumping mass amounts of fuel. Other then losing a intercooler boot here and there. This truck has been flawless since 04. I really have to believe it has something to do with working on it yesterday.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,200 Posts
MAF sensor connector plugged in tightly?

Check the wiring to the EBP for chaffing, even though it probably isn't used, a short in the EBP wiring (specifically the v-ref signal) can still cause issues.

·
Registered
187 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MAF sensor connector plugged in tightly?

Check the wiring to the EBP for chaffing, even though it probably isn't used, a short in the EBP wiring (specifically the v-ref signal) can still cause issues.
I will check that now. I believe that was part of the harness that was recalled early on. I feel like it has to be related to something I just touched.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Motor is a later 04. Changing the EBP sensor fixed the turbo issue, Cleaning the egr seemed to fixed the smoke issue as of now. Putting it back to work tomorrow so we will see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts