Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I’m running out of options! Just bought this truck a couple weeks ago and was running great!
The guy I bought it from just did the HPOP, hpop up pipe and dummy pipe cause the O-ring blew or something so he put in a new one, also did the ICP,IPR and Y-pipe! New turbo and sinister blue spring kit!
To explain what’s happening:
30 minutes ago I let the truck warm all the way up to 190 degrees, oil and trans temp. FICM voltage is “showing” 47.5-48, HPOP was reading around 550-600 I believe at idle and battery voltage was showing 13.8!
Made sure it was fully warmed and then went on a cruise through the neighborhood (didn’t make it over 30mph). 2 minutes into the drive I can start feeling the motor start bouncing, or lugging! Pulled into a drive way and turned around to head back home, while in reverse it was still bouncing so to speak. *Pull in the driveway and then it really starts bucking in reverse, let it sit there in idle and it almost sounds like it’s running off of a few cylinders maybe more! *not really sure unfortunately. Then it started to get an even worse idle and gave it a little gas and it sounds like it’s missing!
here’s what’s weird though…… shut the truck off, turned key back to ON and it didn’t sound like it went though it’s full injector clicking, like 1-2 seconds and it stopped clicking. Normally it will click for 10-15 seconds….? I then cranked the truck back up no problem and acts like idle wasn’t even an issue!!!!! I guarantee if I go down the neighborhood the issue will occur all over again! I have the torque app and I’m afraid to go to a dealer that wants to throw parts at it. My pockets aren’t that deep for an 8k repair bill on injectors….
I did get a cylinder 5 contribution before I took the drive! ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!!! I don’t know if it’s a FICM Cause I would think that it would be doing it from the start? I live in SC near Spartanburg! Once again it can run at idle all day long and it will run fine, the moment I go out on a drive is when it starts the idle bucking issue!

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,805 Posts
Can you do an injector solenoid test with whatever scan tool you have? Also do you happen to know what brand the icp and ipr are? I have seen cheap non-motorcraft parts do stuff like that.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know for a fact that IPR is aftermarket and probably the ICP as well! I also dont know if the torque app with do that or not? Thats what im running right now! Basically it sounds like its a loped tune! Only after i take it two miles down the road, can start it up and no issues at all and idle sound is normal! Only when i begin to take it on a drive! Sorry for the late reply! @Cummins Junkie

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,271 Posts
I can't recall, but probably mis-read something the first time through your post. Decided to wait 'til you responded to the questions in post #3.

ForScan will do an injector "buzz test". I do not think that Torque pro can, but you might research that.

Sounds like injector stiction. A oil additive (Archoil AR9100) might help some, but then again you might need new injectors. Could also be an issue with the logic board on your FICM.

How old are your injectors and how many miles on them?

You really need to stick with OEM sensors and actuators as @Cummins Junkie stated!

Did you scan for codes with the Torque Pro?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't recall, but probably mis-read something the first time through your post. Decided to wait 'til you responded to the questions in post #3.

ForScan will do an injector "buzz test". I do not think that Torque pro can, but you might research that.

Sounds like injector stiction. A oil additive (Archoil AR9100) might help some, but then again you might need new injectors. Could also be an issue with the logic board on your FICM.

How old are your injectors and how many miles on them?

You really need to stick with OEM sensors and actuators as @Cummins Junkie stated!

Did you scan for codes with the Torque Pro?
I know im torn between both and i feel like they may have been replaced somewhere between 125k-150k but im not really sure and the previous owner didnt know either because it was the guy before him! There is a sticker on the back of the truck that says "Industrial Injection" so i would be lead to believe that its aftermarket injectors! So now even if 1 or 2 was bad i cant just throw a stock one in and call it a day i would have to do ALL EIGHT OF THEM. Kinda sucks.

Im all for OEM! Im getting a cylinder 5 contribution and when i cleared and drove it again a cylinder 7 contribution came and no 5! WEIRD! Also getting a compatibility code (U0****) Something like that! So injector stiction wouldbe fine upon idle but then 2 miles down the road it starts bouncing? Sounding like a loped tune?

Previous owner did say that theres a tow tune on it! I since then have unplugged the batteries and i dont know if that wipes it or not? He said it wasnt done with like a LIVE or SCT, something about it being an open source?

It does puff a white smoke cloud upon start up and then goes away after 2 seconds! Its also DOES NOT blow any black smoke or white while driving if i step on it either!

THank you for replying i was fixing to just let it sit until i have 3k to dump into new injectors! Still not fully convinced that is fully the problem either though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I assume you have a late 04 with the ICP sensor on the passenger valve cover?

Can you try running it with the ICP sensor unplugged? Probably won't help, but it is a free test.
Yes i did unplug the sensor and i could feel where the sensor switched over to default! I almost thought it fixed the issue when i troubleshooted that and it almost did until i realized it just took 5 miles to cause the issue all over again instead of 2 miles lol

Yes late 04!

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,271 Posts
I THOUGHT you were "04 6.0" over on the TDS forum. I answered your questions over there and felt like you left a bunch of my suggestions unaddressed. Maybe not ..... I guess I will have to re-read that thread.

Based on everything over there I am now guessing at Injector Stiction.

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,271 Posts
I looked back on the thread and I couldn't see that you did anything regarding the P0112 code.

Maybe you did and just didn't post it. Nope, don;t see any response on it.

You notice that @Cummins Junkie alsdo stated to use OEM sensors.

I hate to tell you again to buy an OEM ICP and IPR, but the aftermarket parts just might be the issue. Then again, they might not be. No way to tell but to replace them. Your call!

I also stated that you need good fuel pressure. Have you checked into that? I assume the fuel tank level is good? Please post what the tank level is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked back on the thread and I couldn't see that you did anything regarding the P0112 code.

Maybe you did and just didn't post it.
Yes!! Switching from my Ipad to my phone something must have happened but i did see that, I couldnt find on my Torque app on how to monitor that! I dont know if it was listed as something else or what! The code also went away which was weird!

Do you have any recommendations on the best stiction formula? How much do i buy cause it was confusing on the Web! Before or after oil change??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I hate to tell you again to buy an OEM ICP and IPR, but the aftermarket parts just might be the issue. Then again, they might not be. No way to tell but to replace them. Your call!

I also stated that you need good fuel pressure. Have you checked into that? I assume the fuel tank level is good? Please post what the tank level is.
I just called ford and got prices on both, Ipr is 314 and the ICP is 178!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I dont know how to check for fuel pressure because i dont have a guage, Im going to check the MAF sensors when i get home!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did check the Intake sensor, not the one in the valley but the one i can see and tugged on the wires and it looked good! Didnt get to read it yet when i wiggle cause i couldnt find the reading

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,271 Posts
Uhmm - I posted how you can get cheaper prices over on TDS:

For example - the 04.5 ICP sensor is part number 4C3Z-9F838-A and it lists for $167.15. The On-Line dealership "AutoNation White Bear Lake" has it for $120.35. You can probably get it locally through FordParts.com for that AND save the shipping. The lowest I have seen for it is around $113.

The IPR valve is part # 3C3Z-9C968-AA. It lists for $314.65. Should be able to get it for around $210.

One thing you can do is monitor ICP pressure, ICP sensor volts, IPR % duty cycle, and ICP desired. When the engine performance starts acting up, maybe you can see fluctuations in SOME of those PIDs.

I also advised you to wiggle wires and see if you could MAKE IT act up.

After all, you did say that running it with an unplugged ICP sensor did seem to help at first. That was the first indication of an improvement that you posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes!! I remember now!! Ive been through so many threads man its hard to keep up with my own! I honestly wish that the problem arised at idle too or it was like that constantly! The fact that it doesnt do it until after a drive is whats stumping me!

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,271 Posts
Yes!! Switching from my Ipad to my phone something must have happened but i did see that, I couldnt find on my Torque app on how to monitor that! I dont know if it was listed as something else or what! The code also went away which was weird!

Do you have any recommendations on the best stiction formula? How much do i buy cause it was confusing on the Web! Before or after oil change??
I mentioned Archoil AR 9100 in an earlier post.

There are lots of threads on fabricating a fuel pressure gauge. Not hard to do. Look them up. The only other option is to take it in - a dealership has the tools to check fuel pressure.

Post videos on YouTube and then post the link in the forum.

I feel like your answer is somewhere in the possibilities that I have already mentioned and you are just going to have to roll up your sleeves and eliminate possibilities one-by-one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I mentioned Archoil AR 9100 in an earlier post.

There are lots of threads on fabricating a fuel pressure gauge. Not hard to do. Look them up. The only other option is to take it in - a dealership has the tools to check fuel pressure.

Post videos on YouTube and then post the link in the forum.

I feel like your answer is somewhere in the possibilities that I have already mentioned and you are just going to have to roll up your sleeves and eliminate possibilities one-by-one.
Good idea! Yes doing the air sensor test when i get home!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts