Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

04 6.0 accelerates on it’s own

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  IQRaceworks 
#1 ·
I just recently had all four injectors replaced on the driver side of my 2004 6.0 excursion. Previous to this the truck would accelerate/rev up a small amount at cruising speeds and when stopped. The reason for replacing the injectors was a bunch of white smoke and a cracked tip on one of the injectors. I thought the problem was fixed when the injectors were changed out. The shop also told me my alternator was only working sometimes. After my battery was dead on two separate occasions I changed the alternator and my battery’s have been fine. Today the truck started to rev again at highway speeds and cruising. Could the dead battery fry my ficm? Or could this be a different problem

#2 ·
The alt or batteries could have fried the ficm.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
If you're talking about a brief rise in RPMs, like and up/down/up/down cycle, I would check the ICP and EBP like Woody said. If it's an actual acceleration for more than half a second, I'd be suspect of the FICM as well.

#5 ·
I had a similar issue.......it turned out to be a bad wiring harness/plug on the ICP sensor. You could watch the ICP voltage hunting up and down with my monitor....it was an easy problem to diagnose. But it was more of a hunting idle issue...not really a "the truck wants to take off down the road on it's own" issue .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.