Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How have you guys wired up the heated part on these mirrors. I dont know of any relays controlling them on the 03 up trucks. Does anybody make a plug and play to adapt them. I just tested each wire and what it did on the truck I got my mirrors from but I would like to clean up the wiring and was wondering if I should switch or relay the heat part. The other trucks ive looked at seem to run on all the time also. Ahy ideas Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
:popcorn: I believe this would be a nice addition to my SD!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its pretty easy to just wire the pins they way they are on the new trucks but I just wanted to keep it clean if there was a plug and play kit someone made. Anybody could do it the way I did though

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just wired mine to a nice switch that I placed next to the mirror switch. It has an amber dummy light on it when powered. I wanted to be able to turn them on and off when needed.

·
Big James
16 Posts
What did you use for a power souce Early? I have an 02 and I wired the lights in, but I didn't know how to do the heat for the mirrors.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i put heated mirrors on mine with no lights i just cut the plugs off and wired them to a switch so they weren't always on

·
Word
608 Posts
The heated elements on the factory mirrors should only come on when the heat and defrost selection is made on the dash panel....but if your vehicle wasn't equipped with this feature from the factory you won't have wires there to splice into....this you guys have already found out...if your vehicle is equipped the ATC ( automatic temperature control ) heat and A/C control head then you can run wires to splice into the defrost or heat control, if not your gonna have to put it on a switch somewhere.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See I thought maybe that was the case so I tested the wires on a truck that came with heated mirrors and it didnt change current on any of the wires when I would switch the defrost on and off. So I then just drove the truck to see if they seemed to stay warm all the time and they did so I guess they are on all the time.

·
Word
608 Posts
I went to my wiring diagram and you're right...there's a heated mirror relay that's activated when the truck is on...it never turns off unless the truck is off...seems kinda stupid to do it like that...you would think a heated mirror element would be a bad thing being on in the middle of summer...but I guess it saved Ford $ in copper from having to run extra wires...lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts