Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the diesel scene and just bought my non-working truck a few days ago at a great price. Previous owner said the last time he drove it, it fell on its face and when he went to start it again it wouldn't start so he was done with it. He was the second owner and had it since 07. He made it sound like the fuel filter hasn't been changed in 8 years but my brother in law didn't think it looked bad. The tank was at 1/4 when we got there and we filled it to 3/4 tank in case it was a potential pick up tube problem. I did eventually get it to start with the aid of starter fluid and my father in laws suggestion of holding down the gas pedal. It ran very rough at first (he said that was normal getting the air out of the gas line) then leveled off. I drove it around the block and very little acceleration and power. When we tried to limp it home yesterday I couldn't get it over 60 and it was difficult to get it to there and the pedal was floored unless I was prepping to stop. My brother in law noted black smoke when under any kind of a load. There was a sensor we tried unplugging to see if that changed its behavior but it didn't, I think it was the Fuel Pressure sensor... (It was to the right of and just behind the fuel bowl). I checked all of the fuel related fuses I could find and all were good. Oil level is good. Transmission fluid level is good and fluid doesn't smell burnt. It shifts but seems to shift rough. It does have a tuner chip in it somewhere with a little dial in the cab... Swamps Motorsports 6 position. We had it turned to "stock" during all of this.

Check engine was on at first, but I did not come up with any stored DTC's with my basic scanner, but the continuous memory had 3 in it...
P0472 - Exhaust pressure sensor low input
P0603 - Powertrain control module keep alive memory error
P1316 - Injector driver module codes detected

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
You need to find the icp sensor, try unplugging that one.
Being a 03, I bet you are having uvch issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
You should search the forum. Do some reading.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Curious as to why an 03 would be more likely to have UVCH issues, I thought the 2002-2003 trucks had the updated ones

·
Registered
340 Posts
UVCH=under valve cover harness

·
Registered
340 Posts
To the OP first thing is to check for proper fuel delivery and pressure, without verifying that first you might waste a lot of time and money trying to guess at things. You will need a gauge to do this right.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Curious as to why an 03 would be more likely to have UVCH issues, I thought the 2002-2003 trucks had the updated ones
I just mean the SD era single plug version.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts