Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 03 Excursion 7.3, 4x4, 4" lift, 35" tires. It was set up for search and rescue so between the front bumper and winch plus the roof rack set up my millage blows. I drove it back from TN to VA and averaged 12 per gal, it has an ATS 2000 propane system but after reading all the poop about them I'm not sure if I want to use it. It also came with an old edge tuner 2004 ? I'm using the tow mode now and it seems to have helped some. Truck only has 80k on it and runs out well but could use some HP help for sure, I'll be ordering a DP tuner any recommendations would be great. I don't want to come off like I'm crying about the mileage I love the truck and will live with it, I just want to be smart about any improvements I make.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My 2000 gets about 13-16. That's was with the 35". After dropping to 33" it's around 13-18. The right foot makes the most difference

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice looking rig, I'm going to pull the BF mt off and switch to some at's and see if that helps some. The DP tune should help also, not sure what to do with the propane kit.

·
1,084 Posts
Given that your Ex has 4x4, an automatic, big tires, a lift and the aerodynamic characteristics of an Amish barn, 12 MPG is about par.

The tuner may make it more fun to drive but don't expect any huge improvement in MPG.

·
Registered
956 Posts
man I've been searching all over the us for an 02 or 03 7.3 ex with that kind of mileage and they just arn't out there and the few I have found they want 20-25k for them!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had propane on my obs. It gave a little mpg gain but after you figure time and hassle just wasn't worth it. I didn't like the fact of an intercooler full of propain if it ever got hit.
Hey Stang. I'll sell you my ex for 20-25k

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had propane on my obs. It gave a little mpg gain but after you figure time and hassle just wasn't worth it. I didn't like the fact of an intercooler full of propain if it ever got hit.
Hey Stang. I'll sell you my ex for 20-25k
I do like your color combo but that's too high for me!

·
Jack Ken
215 Posts
Ive got an 03 w/ the 7.3 on 35s and around town in the summer we got about 11.5, wife does ALOT of short trips around town, befor the lift we got about 12.5 I hvaent had it on any trips yet for high way but Im HOPING for 16. I just got a water/meth kit to see what that does plus I can buy meth for under $2 this winter summer should be under 1.50. I also am looking at putting lp on but a kit called the Diesel Magnum(Im a Dealer). I see good gains with it on ag tractors, about $15 an hour on combines and upto $25 on a 15L cummins. If your going to pull the lp off I might be interested in the tank, if its a liquid withdraw tank. Hope this helps.

·
brandon
778 Posts
the best we ever got was 16.6 in an 01

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3 with drop in K&N filter, stock exhaust with muffler cut out, TS 6 position flip chip set on 100hp all the time and edge box with it set on fuel economy. On the interstate running 80 plus at times i have gotten as good as 18.5 probably could do a little better if drove it a little easier! That was with stock tire size! But with a 50 50 mix of intown and highway with my new 20's from 08 superduty with the bigger tires im getting right at 13.4 when im drivin it easy! Havnt had it back on the highway only yet to get a good reading with the new tire size! Good luck with your truck i love mine!

Anybody on here have any sugestions for getting the speedometer right with the new bigger tires? I had my truck to a ford dealer and they said they couldnt even get it close cause the tires were to tall. there right at 34in tall

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3 with drop in K&N filter, stock exhaust with muffler cut out, TS 6 position flip chip set on 100hp all the time and edge box with it set on fuel economy. On the interstate running 80 plus at times i have gotten as good as 18.5 probably could do a little better if drove it a little easier! That was with stock tire size! But with a 50 50 mix of intown and highway with my new 20's from 08 superduty with the bigger tires im getting right at 13.4 when im drivin it easy! Havnt had it back on the highway only yet to get a good reading with the new tire size! Good luck with your truck i love mine!

Anybody on here have any sugestions for getting the speedometer right with the new bigger tires? I had my truck to a ford dealer and they said they couldnt even get it close cause the tires were to tall. there right at 34in tall

What are the revs/mile? The dealership should be able to re-program to 601 if I am remebering right. The 601 should represent about a 35" tall tire so than can get your 34's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts