Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
03 Excursion , studded, o ringed heads, 200 amp alternator, SG II, cooling fan override, 285/70/17 a
231 Posts
This drains the filter housing when the cap is unscrewed, correct? Not the one-way valve on the housing oil inlet?
Yes. The valve keeps oil in the housing until the filter is removed. It is possible the valve is bypassing oil while the engine is running.. I could be wrong but I think uou have a leaks somewhere.
When my pump failed the excursion had to be towed home.

·
Registered
03 Excursion , studded, o ringed heads, 200 amp alternator, SG II, cooling fan override, 285/70/17 a
231 Posts
This drains the filter housing when the cap is unscrewed, correct? Not the one-way valve on the housing oil inlet?
Yes... drain when the cap is treaded off... because the filter looks dry it is draining back to pan the all the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes... drain when the cap is treaded off... because the filter looks dry it is draining back to pan the all the time.
Thanks for that - I'm picking up a new valve today and will put it in tonight with the new OEM filter

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for that - I'm picking up a new valve today and will put it in tonight with the new OEM filter
Hope that fixes the problem.. so... the j-pipe PUMP discharge tube sometimes rubs on the inside pump cover. Mine was doing this but it never wore though the pipe. Yours could have a leak there. An air test would help you find the leak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update - it turns out that the Napa 7213 filter for this engine does not use the OEM cap even though it does not say on the top 'Do Not Reuse'. This I learned when I popped the element out only to find that it broke the top of the cap - it was not made to take a new filter. Picked up a new OEM cap and a filter drain valve, changed the oil with Rotella T-6 5-40. It took a few attempts to start it as expected, drove it that day about 75 miles; no difference in ICP pressure or performance regarding pedal position.

Next day (today) it started cold on the first attempt! making me really hopeful that this problem was fixed, but after about 15 miles the ICP started dropping sooner in the pedal travel. It had enough power to climb a slight grade. Headed for home and it died at the next intersection as the ICP dropped below 300. Cranked but would not restart. After I towed it home about 2 hours later it started after cranking for a while, very slow start up barely running that eventually became a normal idle. I was able to creep it into the shop. It would not restart right after it happened.

One thing that may mean something - yesterday after the oil change when I was testing raising the RPM's by keeping it in 2nd and 3rd as I couldn't raise the rpm's in drive by flooring the pedal; the ICP would drop and it would just hang there. I did see the ICP raise up above 2000 while I was driving like this - high RPM low throttle input. But, it did seem like the whole problem got worse after I did this.

I'm going to next look at values with Forscan once I get my adapter working to see the how the ICP sensor is responding and to pull the ICV to check the screen. Any advice is greatly appreciated, but right now I think a billet HPOP is in my near future.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That is what happen when my pump died... because you had the wrong cap.... oil was bypassing and probably starving the hpop for oil.

Time to pull it all apart and replace the pump.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That is what happen when my pump died... because you had the wrong cap.... oil was bypassing and probably starving the hpop for oil.

Time to pull it all apart and replace the pump.
Thanks for the info. Maybe, but I didn't run it with the OEM filter and the Napa cap although I didn't know better at the time. Last time I changed it (first time for me as I had just gotten the truck) I used the NAPA filter/cap combination which should have been ok. I thought the problem happened using the OEM filter with a non OEM (non-reusable) cap.

Anyway, what pump did you go with? Reman, new, billet? My BIL has an 08 and is having issues also, the dealer told him they take the cabs off to perform this work - did you?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought a reman hpop from Ford. I now have over 150k on the reman. I alway use roltella to with arch oil 9100 and Motorcraft filters. With 340k on the clock I can't complain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update - went to start it today after sitting 24 hours, started immediately on first try, idled smooth. Ugh. Waiting on cable for Forscan now.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
It sounds like you have a leak in your HPO system. There are other scanners and adapters FYI, such as the Torque app....invaluable as a basic scanner and monitor IMO. I have the cable for FORScan as well, but I also have a bluetooth adapter which works with my laptop when needed. Anyway, when you can monitor PIDs I'm betting your IPR will be creeping up on 85% and your ICP won't be changing. If that's the case then you have an air leak and will need to do a test. Read THIS THREAD for some info on that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It sounds like you have a leak in your HPO system. There are other scanners and adapters FYI, such as the Torque app....invaluable as a basic scanner and monitor IMO. I have the cable for FORScan as well, but I also have a bluetooth adapter which works with my laptop when needed. Anyway, when you can monitor PIDs I'm betting your IPR will be creeping up on 85% and your ICP won't be changing. If that's the case then you have an air leak and will need to do a test. Read THIS THREAD for some info on that.
Could be - I realize based on all the searching I've done that it's still probably the pump but I really don't want to change it and have the problem continue. I had two problems - the hard starting that was better if I parked downhill, and the lack of power/dropping of ICP pressure on my ScanGauge. It seems that replacing the oil filter drain valve and putting on a new OEM cap and filter has solved the first problem; not sure why that would be effected by the orientation of the truck though. That could be false info though - I also changed the oil and maybe it had gotten thin enough to leak in the pump where the new oil doesn't.

My Scangauge does show 85% IPR with the ICP dropping to 600. As soon as I get the right ODB2 cable I will use ForScan for more diagnostics.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The cable isn't going to help at this point. The next step now is to air test the high pressure oil system and find where it is leaking from.

This would be the cheapest and the fastest way to find the leak.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts