Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 F-250 with 6.0 Powerstroke began starting hard a couple months ago -I thought it was glow plugs at first because it would take multiple attempts to start (usually 3) when cold but once started for the day it started normally for the rest of the day - but it's my first power stroke and since I bought it I always thought it cranked more than I expected. Certainly more than our diesel tractors. This continued as the temps got warmer - now even when it's 90 it will take 3 or 4 tries to start it the first time of the day. Truck has 117k.

I've been researching the group and can list these other symptoms:
  • if I park with the nose down, it starts on the first try after waiting for the glow plugs - takes less than a second of cranking
  • if I park level or nose up, it takes 3 or 4 tries waiting for glow plugs each time. Each attempt takes 3-5 seconds of cranking. The first try it will fire up and die, the 2nd it will fire and die immediately, and usually on the 3rd it will start and run roughly for a few seconds.
  • Watching my ICP and IPR values on my scan gauge I see that my ICP is good at idle (600psi) and is ok up until around 1600 depending on throttle position. Once I move the throttle past a certain place it will drop to 600-700psi and not come pack up above 1,000 unless I release the pedal back to 1/2 or less. It actually makes more power at 1/2 throttle (ICP around 1600-1700 and IPR at around 50-60%) than if I go full throttle. It's now gotten so I can't accelerate up a hill at all. Climbing a hill with the pedal down I see 600 ICP, 84% IPR, 25psi manifold psi.
  • The highest value I've ever seen on the gauge for ICP is 2200, and only for a second
  • As I move the throttle I can hear the injectors change their tone - when the ICP goes back up after releasing the pedal as mentioned above, I can hear when the injectors go from a muted noise to the normal diesel injector noise that I'm used to

Based on my research I was leaning towards the HPOP, but now thinking it could be the IPR. When the IPR is failing does the same issue occur when parked on a hill? I haven't found anything yet that related this type of problem to throttle position.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typically it is the suction gasket to the HPOP, or perhaps the pressed in ball bearing that is also on the suction side.
I see that there are gasket/o-ring kits available for the HPOP - is that serviceable or is it best just to replace the pump at the same time?

·
Registered
949 Posts
As a rule of thumb a 6.0 should start in 3-5 seconds, if not your have a problem (as you found(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not a fan of the 03-04 OEM HPOP. The one I recommend is about $1000. It is the Dieselsite HPOP.

If you are into it all the way to the HPOP, I would upgrade it, but that is an expensive choice and pretty much an individual one.
I agree I saw that one - looks like reman is around $600 - $700 from what I've found. If I'm in there the billet one is the way I'll go.

·
Registered
03 Excursion , studded, o ringed heads, 200 amp alternator, SG II, cooling fan override, 285/70/17 a
231 Posts
I agree I saw that one - looks like reman is around $600 - $700 from what I've found. If I'm in there the billet one is the way I'll go.
before replacing the pump.. let the truck sit for 24hrs. remove the oil filter and make sure the oil filter is still wet. if the drain valve in the bottom of the filter housing is letting the filter housing to drain all the oil back to the oil pan. A scan gauge II would help figure things out. » ScanGauge II
There are other tools to use but I have this in the Excursion at all times.

Reactions: bismic1

·
Registered
03 Excursion , studded, o ringed heads, 200 amp alternator, SG II, cooling fan override, 285/70/17 a
231 Posts
This also brings to mind. My 03 Excursion was also rubbing the HPOP cover on the J-pipe to the pump... it never wore though, but yours could have a pinhole in the j-pipe. I replaced the j-pipe and took the die grinder to the cover and made a little clearance. The problem for me is if you are going this deep to check the j-pipe.... I would replace the pump.

still need to know what ipr duty cycle and icp pressure are.

·
Registered
231 Posts
oops...I should read every post first.... lmao

·
Registered
949 Posts
What about the cracked oil pick up tube that you jack up the rear of the truck to find? I can't remember all the details of this one

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
before replacing the pump.. let the truck sit for 24hrs. remove the oil filter and make sure the oil filter is still wet. if the drain valve in the bottom of the filter housing is letting the filter housing to drain all the oil back to the oil pan. A scan gauge II would help figure things out. » ScanGauge II
There are other tools to use but I have this in the Excursion at all times.
Should the truck be level or pointing nose down? Level I assume. I have a scan gauge II also - it's a permanent installation in t the truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good suggestion!

To add to it, make sure you have an OEM oil filter cap and OEM oil filter. If you post a picture of the top of your engine we can identify what you have. Even if your dash oil pressure gauge comes up to the middle when cranking, it could still be an issue. That said, if it is a leaking drain valve, it would most likely happen all the time and not just when you parked uphill.
It's a NAPA oil filter - not sure about the cap:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like an OEM cap.

As suggested above, check out the oil filter. You can also crank with the filter out and time how long it takes to fill up the oil filter bowl (should be around 11-12 seconds). If you hold down the oil filter housing drain valve while cranking it should fill in around 6 seconds.

Crank by using the starter solenoid wire jumpered to the passenger battery + terminal:

Find the yellow with light blue striped colored wire which is adjacent to the passenger side battery in the engine compartment, it is near the vacuum pump. It has a "squeeze-and-pull" type connection. Disconnect it, and jump the male end of the connector to the passenger side battery positive terminal. The starter should crank. Leave the key in the off position to just crank.

Will do

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked up a Motorcraft filter this afternoon and just pulled out my old one - looks empty right?

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
It will empty as soon as you remove it. Use an OEM filter with an OEM cap ONLY

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The filter looks a little dry. if you want to try and replace the drain valve. this should be the correct valve.

This drains the filter housing when the cap is unscrewed, correct? Not the one-way valve on the housing oil inlet?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts