Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
workin with a 03 7.3 with 112k, has a bad injector and found a really good deal on new injectors that say they add 80hp though. would they be okay to put in since everything else is stock or would it raise up the egts? or any other concerns? thanks in advance. :ford:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
truck does have a 4 inch turbo back exhaust. but the wrest stock.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
where is the injectors coming from?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If the new injectors are single shot injectors then you'll need a custom tuned chip to run them. The factory 03 PCM is tuned for stock injectors which are split shot's. Another thing to think about is the weaker powder metal rods in that 03 engine. When you start adding power to a PMR equipped truck, the chance of engine failure greatly rises. You're best bet would probably be to find a set of good stock injectors if you don't want to spend a bunch of money on a chip and you don't want to risk breaking a rod or maybe something else.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the new injectors are single shot injectors then you'll need a custom tuned chip to run them. The factory 03 PCM is tuned for stock injectors which are split shot's. Another thing to think about is the weaker powder metal rods in that 03 engine. When you start adding power to a PMR equipped truck, the chance of engine failure greatly rises. You're best bet would probably be to find a set of good stock injectors if you don't want to spend a bunch of money on a chip and you don't want to risk breaking a rod or maybe something else.
thanks a lot. i will probably throw stocks back in...

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Dont waste money if you dont know what they are. Tuners will laugh at you if you call them saying idk. Trust me I know

·
Edumacted
171 Posts
Id say if you do get a set of stage ones for your truck you will deffinately need to get a chip from one of the site sponsors and let them know that the truck has PMRs so that they can cut the power back in the tunes.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id say if you do get a set of stage ones for your truck you will deffinately need to get a chip from one of the site sponsors and let them know that the truck has PMRs so that they can cut the power back in the tunes.
ya i was just wonderin about it all havent done to much with the 7.3 so just thought i would ask. dont really want to do somethin to screw this truck up. maybe just do stock injectors with a 60hp tune like my dad did on his 7.3 forever without problems. appreciate all the answeres. and i would assume an 80 horse injector would be like 280 cc?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont waste money if you dont know what they are. Tuners will laugh at you if you call them saying idk. Trust me I know
i would have got more information before i did it. ha but i deffinetly dont want to take a chance with a rod problem on this truck. ill just throw in some stocks and maybe some very small tunning(60hp). well just have to leave it up to the 6.4 to make the BIG power. :D

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
No 280 cc is like over 600hp. You can go bigger injectors with pmrs with the right tuning. Just figure out who built them and if you can the cc's they flow. Also see if they are single shots. If they are like a stage 1 or 2 then would not huet to get.

·
Edumacted
171 Posts
Your stage ones will generally be around 160cc not 280. A 280cc injector would be capable of close to 600 hp with the supporting mods and they would be wayyyy to big for your PMRs.

·
Edumacted
171 Posts
NE-STROKE beat me to the punch.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Sorry man. haha

·
Edumacted
171 Posts
Its all the same info so its perfectly fine. :D

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No 280 cc is like over 600hp. You can go bigger injectors with pmrs with the right tuning. Just figure out who built them and if you can the cc's they flow. Also see if they are single shots. If they are like a stage 1 or 2 then would not huet to get.
Your stage ones will generally be around 160cc not 280. A 280cc injector would be capable of close to 600 hp with the supporting mods and they would be wayyyy to big for your PMRs.
appreciate all the info, i will call em back and see if they are splits and try to find out the exact ccs. i just know he dont want to take a chance of messing his truck up. im havin a hard time just tryin to gett him to get a tuner.LOL but ill find out what they are for sure hopefully today...

·
Getting Faster...
150 Posts
Just good tunes on stock sticks will get him ~100 hp. If he's wanting more than that, tunes, gauges, etc, etc, etc will be required. And don't sell PMRs short. I'm running 235cc of fuel on mine and making ~450hp/1000 ft-lbs... ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Also if there 80 hp sticks and are split shots your going to need oil

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also if there 80 hp sticks and are split shots your going to need oil
so you need a new hpop for 80 hp sticks? and would that be considered like a stage 2 injector or how does that all work?

·
Registered
316 Posts
so you need a new hpop for 80 hp sticks? and would that be considered like a stage 2 injector or how does that all work?
It depends if there single shot or splits.I'm running stage3 hybrids on my stock pump but Joey is going to mod an extra pump i have.Split shot uses more oil then single shots so yes your going to need more oil to run those injectors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts