Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bone stock 2003 6.0L with 108K miles on it. Was driving to work this morning, engine was warmed up and when I let off the gas it just died. It will crank good, just not fire up. It has fuel, pulled the fuel filter on top of the engine and it's full. I also hooked up a OBDII scanner and it's not throwing any codes.

I have read that it could be the HPOP. Just throwing this up here for any other ideas and to address this problem for others.

If it's the HPOP, where is this located?

·
Registered
661 Posts
hmm i had a very similar problem with my 6.0 but it didn't die while driving... have you had any problems starting it recently like it take 2 or 3 times to start it. i had that happen to me and it ended up being the HPOP. and since you have a 2003 that year had the old design that had lots of HPOP issues

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow.. fast.. thanks guys.. yes, the past week i would say it would be hard starting.. meaning i would start it and it would die, then re-start it and it would be fine.

I also just replaced the fuel filters two weeks ago. Well have to run, will be back tonight with hopefully the truck in front of the house so i can do some tests on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, I just went out and checked the fuses and relays.. and in the midst of all that, it started and ran for a minute or two... low idle.. 600 rpms.. then died.. and now when i crank it over, it seems to be firing, but not enough to run..

i also think i unplugged the ICP and tried cranking it, before the above happened and it did nothing, so I hooked it back up. It was in the back of the engine, top just to the driver side of the turbo.

·
6. NO LEAKER
432 Posts
I would say its a leak in you HPOP... thats what mine did. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, went back and checked.. i did not unplug the icp... but i did this time.. no difference in cranking... man was that a pain in the butt to get too.. all these guys saying to just reach up in there.. must be the size of 12 year olds..

what is this leak in the HPOP? A guy I work with also said this, said something about a tube/hose he had to get replaced on his.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Can you hook a scan tool up and check icp pressure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm going to try more tomorrow, it's still on the side of the road, a friend is coming by tonight to tow it home for me... gawd i'll never live this down, he owns a cheby.. :doh:

·
compresion ignition adict
209 Posts
i feel ya man... i got towed back onto base from my buddy who was driving a suburban.......:eek:wned:... soundin like a hpop problem to me...... i built a high presure gauge to test mine... went to a hydraulic shop, bought the gauge, all the corect fittings and hose, was like 40 bucks... unscrewed my icp and hooked up my new hose, gauge and t fitting and screwed the icp into it.... worked great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts