Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a heck of a lot of reading on various forums last fall and finally finished my install project. Hopefully this is an acceptable first post as I tend to lurk & read for the most part. This project all started because of a broken bottom glass in my factory towing mirrors and what the charge for a replacement..then snowballed when the idea of defrost mirrors came about. Overkill is underrated anyway!

A friend helped me with the bulk work of the wiring which was a major pain, we fashioned the switch bezels out of the OE bracket the switches came in & mounted the radar detectors mute button where the original switch was. Because of the location of the new switches we had to delicately massage the door support to allow the door panel to sit flush again. Done again I think you could push them a little farther to the right in the panel and avoid this but we didn't account for the pig tails in mock up.

Overall it was a big headache but worth the time. It has made driving around town a lot more enjoyable with the bigger glass, defrost in foul weather, & fold for wonderful folks in parking lots.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice work, definitely worthy of a first post:psn:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Very nice!! What is the defrost switch from? Does it have timer for the mirrors? I grabbed one from an excursion and it is different.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work, definitely worthy of a first post:psn:
Thanks!

Very nice!! What is the defrost switch from? Does it have timer for the mirrors? I grabbed one from an excursion and it is different.

Thanks
The switch is from a Taurus, I'm sure I can find the part number if needed. It is on a timer around 10 minutes I haven't times it. The excursion mirrors are basically on all the time at least during the early years according to my research. I took the switch and put a better spring from Ace hardware in it, with a little trimming, for a more positive set & reset.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks!

The switch is from a Taurus, I'm sure I can find the part number if needed. It is on a timer around 10 minutes I haven't times it. The excursion mirrors are basically on all the time at least during the early years according to my research. I took the switch and put a better spring from Ace hardware in it, with a little trimming, for a more positive set & reset.

Thanks. I am headed to the u pull it yard this weekend. I will take a look at the Taurus switches.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
What did that little project run you cost wise. It's what I want to do so I figured id ask.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I am headed to the u pull it yard this weekend. I will take a look at the Taurus switches.
Good luck with it!

What did that little project run you cost wise. It's what I want to do so I figured id ask.
It was around $1,000. The bulk of the cost is the mirrors - somewhere in the $700 range. The special solenoid is around $100 locally or $78 from rock auto. Switches came from online - the OE panel with memory, fold/glass switch, & telescope ran around $50-60. The Taurus defroster was $20. The rest was wiring related things - if you were able to get a junkyard truck and cut the wiring harness with the mirror related switches it would have made life MUCH easier.

This can be done much cheaper with patience. I just can't seem to find a junked truck for me to pick apart locally. Still LOTS of parts I'd like to buy off one.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I know this is a couple months old. But how hard was it to do the memory part?
Im currently working on a 08 panel and mirror swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know this is a couple months old. But how hard was it to do the memory part?
Im currently working on a 08 panel and mirror swap.
The memory is also part of the drivers seat - haven't found a suitable donor yet to find out just mounted the switch for when I do. Good luck with your swap!

Should note that all this time later it is the best money I've spent on this truck.

·
Registered
457 Posts
:tree:
The memory is also part of the drivers seat - haven't found a suitable donor yet to find out just mounted the switch for when I do. Good luck with your swap!

Should note that all this time later it is the best money I've spent on this truck.
Thanks bro. I'm doing a thread to. On the. 08 mirror is that little sensor on the corner of the mirror for memory?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ford relay # 8C3Z-14N089-A, be prepared for sticker shock. I mounted mine in the drivers side behind the door panel. The factory position is somewhere under the dash.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any wiring tricks? I cant get my 09 mirrors to work. Drivers mirror signal light lights up and the mirror move up and thats it. 00 F350 with 05 doors, and 09 mirrors.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I Found oem 2015 full power besides the memory tow mirrors for $250, I just need to find the ford mirror controls. Untill then I'll use toggle switches for the fold and telescope

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any wiring tricks? I cant get my 09 mirrors to work. Drivers mirror signal light lights up and the mirror move up and thats it. 00 F350 with 05 doors, and 09 mirrors.
Did you have any luck with the wiring on your mirrors? I'm looking for the same info. Just put some newer mirrors on my truck, with blinkers and defrost, two options my truck didn't have

1 - 17 of 17 Posts