Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New-to-me 2002 f250 7.3 176k miles. I started it up, no problem, and let it warm up 10 - 15 minutes. Drove about 100ft and it dropped to idle, pedal did nothing, so I turned around and drove back (very slowly). Turned it off and went to do some research. Truck has not started since. Tried rock auto cps and icp sensor, which had oil in the plug. Still cranks and sounds like it is about to start but doesn't. Sat there as a yard ornament for a few months while my baby was born and all that goes after... Tried again, batteries dead. Had tested bad at oriellys, bought new batteries. Cranks but won't start. Oil level is good, 3/4 tank fuel, can hear fuel pump come on, fills fuel bowl, has wts light as normal. Bought obdii bluetooth and torque lite app- no codes stored, only get throttle and vac reading when cranking, no other dial display moves. Unplugged icp sensor, same. Removed icp, sprayed oil everywhere while cranking. Checked all fuses under dash, trailer fuse blown all others good replaced blown 20a. No change. Put original cps back in as I read about bad aftermarket parts, same. I have read threads and watched videos on this problem and the list seems endless. I can't afford shop rates any more than I can afford to keep throwing parts at it. Can anyone on this forum help? I have worn out FTE, they just don't respond on my thread anymore. I am about ready to sell it for whatever I can get and buy a gas guzzler, sad to say. I thought I was getting a reliable truck, but it has sat longer than it has driven for me. I appreciate any help, especially that diagnoses problem without hundreds of $ of part-swapping. I have spent enough on could-be and try-this non-fixes.
Thanks in advance, I hope.

·
PSN intsigator
6,410 Posts
You will need to get a scanner/code reader. Google superduty diagnostics on the cheap. We need to see what the computer sees to know where to go with this. Kinda sounds like a bad IDM right now but could also be dropping power or ground connections.

·
PSN intsigator
6,410 Posts
It could also be a bad a bad IPR? To many maybes without knowing what the computer sees

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a bluetooth obdii and the torque lite app, but I can't get it to read anything but throttle and vac. Could be user error, not really sure. Just got it. It says no codes are stored, which seems odd to me. Starting to think it may be pcm related. Most advice seems to say fuel related, but I don't know. All I know for sure is that I am tired of reading endless threads and watching videos. I never intended to become a diesel mechanic at 50.

·
PSN intsigator
6,410 Posts
Well then let's figure out a way to start eliminating things. We need to start with fuel and verify you have fuel pressure. T into this fitting with a gauge, or 1 of the 2 plugs on the back side of the fuel filter. 1 plug is before the filter and 1 is after the fuel has been filtered. The line in my pic is the return to tank

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I had not tightened the fuel filter cap assembly enough and saw fuel spray out when I turned the key. I tightened the cap and tried it, and it started for a fraction of a second then died. Any thoughts?

·
PSN intsigator
6,410 Posts
Might be air bound. You may just need to put a battery charger on it and crack it for several intervals. Not longer than 20 seconds each time and allow the starter to cool in between cranking for a few minutes

·
PSN intsigator
6,410 Posts
What do you mean?

What was hard to turn?

Where did fuel spray out from?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made a video of it almost starting and posted on youtube at the suggestion of a different forum I am also on. "02 7.3 powerstroke almost start" user "itslabradore". Not sure if it will help, but...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pulled fuel bowl, checked for obstructions. Found valve inside standpipe to be stuck, tapped it out with a screwdriver. Reassembled and now it doesn't close completely. Thought I found the issue. Reinstalled fuel bowl, installed new filter and cap. Same almost start as before. Ran fuel pump several cycles, same.

·
PSN intsigator
6,410 Posts
Valve inside the standpipe just prevents you from running the engine without a filter. It is really hard to know where to go with thing without having fuel pressure and hpop readings. Fuel pressure I believe is a minimum of 55 and max of 85ish. There also needs to be a minimum of 500 psi high pressure oil before the injectors will fire.

If you google cheap superduty diagnostic. It will show you what you can use for under $100. It uses a for forscan app(which is my goto for these engines) with a bluetooth elm adapter. You can get most of you readings and test done with this setup.

If you have an ohmmeter I can try and walk you through some tests, they won't be as quick or as accurate as the forscan app. Which I run off my phone

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a bluetooth adapter and was running the torque lite app. Several people have mentioned the forscan app, and I will give it a try, but I don't get many of the readings the torque lite is supposed to deliver. I have 12 parameters set and only get readings on 3 of them, throttle, rpm, and adapter voltage. No cm voltage, not a zero, no data. No fuel pressure, MAF, timing advance, nothing. In poking around under the dash ,I noticed that everything under there, fuse box, wire harness, even the throttle pedal looks in very good shape for a 18 year old truck, maybe even new. Could there be something going on there? Maybe not oem or wired wrong. Coupled with the mud in my fuel bowl drain tube I am beginning to think maybe this thing was in some water.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am an electrician by schooling. I have an ohm meter and would be very comfortable ohming out circuits, I just don't have the know-how on trucks to know what to look for.

·
PSN intsigator
6,410 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a couple of guys from FTE who live fairly close and volunteered to come to my place on Saturday with all their gadgets and gizmos to help me try to figure this out. Would you be available to contact when they are here and I have more info?

·
PSN intsigator
6,410 Posts
IDK what the he!l that was google GB tech bulletin 103

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts