Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am now a first time owner of a 7.3. I'm new to this site as well. I did'nt find a 7.3 general topic for starting a thread so hope this is the correct place. The truck has 160k and drives nice but i have nothing to compare it to. The steering is not as tight as i'm used to and the exhaust ( Banks monster cat delete) is diesel smelling. garage door must be left open if runs very long. The power steering isnt noisy but i definitely here it. I have searched every where for oil leaks and can only find the power steering pump that must be leaking a bit. My question is are all these noticable things typical. So far I have changed oil and fuel filter. I plan on having the R4100 oil flushed. The ICP plug is wet and will change that soon. Mostly I'm concerned about the slightly loose steering and steer pump noise. The tranny oil is pink but has slight odor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there, I bought my 7.3 6 months ago and had the same problem with the steering pump noise. the noise got a bit more quite when i added a little to much steering fluid and ran it for about a week. And the steering is always like that. you can fix it but i don't see the point because as soon as you get used to it you don't notice it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the ball joints were torqued incorrectly. Steering is much better. I tighten gear box less than 1/4 turn. I am seeing some have put Archoil in power steering to improve ease of steering wheel. I think the diesel smell has improved with replacing bad ICP. Maybe it just me?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts