Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't a cummins forum but I thought maybe some of ya'll may have worked on them before.
A friend of mine has an 02. It had coolant leaking out of the back side of the head gasket. Cleaned the head and block surface, new head gasket and put in arp headstuds. Torqued studs down to 125ftlbs. This was prolly 3,000 miles ago. Today it started leaking coolant and a lil bit of oil out the back of the head again....I am going to check the torque on the studs first, but could that damn head be warpped? Truck has around 150k and was a one owner truck that was used o pull a 5th wheel camper.
I'm hopin it's just the damn head studs needing retorqued.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yeah the head could be warped, anytime I have a headgasket failure come in I almost always have the head surfaced and check the block for flatness. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
may have to have it machined, or you can have it checked at lest

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, lol. I was afraid of that, thought I'd get a second opinion. If it was my truck, I would have had the head re-done when I had it apart, but my buddy didn't wanna spend the money.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Damn, lol. I was afraid of that, thought I'd get a second opinion. If it was my truck, I would have had the head re-done when I had it apart, but my buddy didn't wanna spend the money.
If ya can't afford to fix it right, how you gona afford to fix it twice?

How many torques did you/he do on the studs? Just the first one or what?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If ya can't afford to fix it right, how you gona afford to fix it twice?

How many torques did you/he do on the studs? Just the first one or what?
Thats what I tried tellin him.
Did 60, 90, 125. Drove it, pulled er' back in the shop and checked em and they we're all alright.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well he brought er' by the shop and I checked the tq on the head studs...they were all good, did not move. So back off with the head to be sent out to the machine shop. He's kickin himself for it, cus he gets married in three weeks. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts