Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2002 7.3 4x4 with 220k on it. The other day it was running fine and when I pulled up the a stop light the truck just turned off. Tried cranking it back up but all it would is turn over but never fire. Had it towed to our shop and when I unloaded it it cranked right up and idled about 20 minutes fine. I put it on our snap on computer and the only code was the ICP sensor: replaced it the next day as it did have oil on the pig tail and needed to be replaced. Drove around the next day truck ran great no problems. The following day hooked up to our horse trailer to go on about a 3 hour trip and made it about 15 miles and the truck turned off while I was running about 60mph. Managed to get to the shoulder and stopped. Again truck would turn over but not fire. Had it towed back to the diesel mechanic shop. This morning they say it’s running fine and no codes are showing. Need some help figuring this out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
A good place to start would be the IPR also, I’ve read that those go pretty hand n hand when there’s issues. And the sudden die might be due to fuel pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
7,340 Posts
I would replace the CPS. They are a known issue. Word of caution only use OEM sensors on these engines. Especially the CPS, IPR, and ICP.

Pretty sure I posted this on your other thread!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Another thing to look at... It seems from your description that this tends to happen when the truck is warm (truck restarts fine after cooling off). You may want to to check the IPR as well. I have read cases where the IPR solenoid functions when cold but as the engine heats up the IPR cuts out and kills the engine. Several of the OPs on the fore mentioned threads have revived their trucks by pouring cold water on the IPR (I personally don't recommend this...). The IPR is essentially a voltage controlled electro magnet. If wire in the coil breaks then the IPR can no longer control the oil pressure and the engine dies.

Cj

Reactions: powerpro1996

·
PSN intsigator
7,340 Posts
I am one who has done that water test. Only way I figured it out. It would work for weeks then just quit. Then after 15 or so minutes it would start again and go for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I have a 2002 7.3 4x4 with 220k on it. The other day it was running fine and when I pulled up the a stop light the truck just turned off. Tried cranking it back up but all it would is turn over but never fire. Had it towed to our shop and when I unloaded it it cranked right up and idled about 20 minutes fine. I put it on our snap on computer and the only code was the ICP sensor: replaced it the next day as it did have oil on the pig tail and needed to be replaced. Drove around the next day truck ran great no problems. The following day hooked up to our horse trailer to go on about a 3 hour trip and made it about 15 miles and the truck turned off while I was running about 60mph. Managed to get to the shoulder and stopped. Again truck would turn over but not fire. Had it towed back to the diesel mechanic shop. This morning they say it’s running fine and no codes are showing. Need some help figuring this out!
I had the exact same problem and replaced the ICP, It started and ran fine for a couple days and then stalled again at idle. I replaced the ICP sensor but not the pigtail. Once I replaced the old pigtail my problem was solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts