Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it slowly started sputtering and acted like fuel gelling in winter and then died... and at first i could get it to start but it would barley run and rev up, now it wont fire... it will just crank but no go... glow plug light works, oil pressure guage comes up normal cranking... lots of oil.... truck was running fine before this.. what can i check before i get towed... thanks

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
it slowly started sputtering and acted like fuel gelling in winter and then died... and at first i could get it to start but it would barley run and rev up, now it wont fire... it will just crank but no go... glow plug light works, oil pressure guage comes up normal cranking... lots of oil.... truck was running fine before this.. what can i check before i get towed... thanks
Maby got some bad Fuel and clogged the fuel filter? or could be a oil pressure problem and the guage aint showin accurate? doubt its injectors bein all of the sudden. could possibly be a fuel pump that slowly died maby... i dunno just ideas good luck

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Check your batteries and alternator. Start with the basics.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i did fill this morning, but drove all day till it started to act up... heres more info, our temps have been +15 to 20c lately.... today we woke up to 2" of snow and all day.... i stalled out this winter with gelled fuel. this acted the same way except it wont fire now... it cranks over fast and easy as it always have... when it was limping along and sputtering it was puffing blue smoke... i was reading some where about fuel pump heater and giving the same symptoms and blue smoke... dunno...

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Have you tried any additives such as diesel 911 or the like? It does sound like you either gelled up or your pump quit. Have you checked to see if the pump is working?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Take the cap off your fuel bowl and see if it is filling with fuel, sounds like the pump may have gone. I had one gel up on me and killed the pump.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do i need to crank it over with the cap off? or just turn key on? is there a how to somewhere here for the fuel bowl cap?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Just grab hold of the cap and turn it counterclockwise. It will come off.

How many miles are on the truck, how many miles have you had it. Might just have a fuel filter stopped completely up. Before doing anything, on the back of the fuel bowl, the is a yellow lever. Turn it 90º clockwise. Fuel should drain out under the truck. Turn on the key. Fuel should pour out, about a gallon a minute. If it does that, the fuel pump is working.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Is the tachometer moving while you are cranking it over?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, bowl was full of fuel, i drained some out.... oil guage moves when cranking, but tack doesnt move when cranking... to the life of me i cannot ever remember ever seeing the tack move when starting the truck, guess i just never payed attention... what does that mean if tack doesnt move when turning it over?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have always heard that the tach not moving is a sign of a bad cam positioning sensor. Watching mine while it is cranking though the tach movement is very slight. I`ve never really seen a bad cam sensor show your symptoms. Do you have access to an engine scanner or Auto Enginuity?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no not without taking it in to the stealer tomorrow... i used my edge to see what codes it pulled and i got 2, po381 (unknown) it said, and po231 (fuel pump secondary circut low) it said.... i have no clue what that means....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also both my batteries were like at 50%, dunno if that was from trying to start it so much thou... would low batteries cause a sputtering like condition and progressivly die out with blueish smoke?? sometimes it will fire enough to run on stumble for a second or 2 and then die out...

·
Registered
154 Posts
You may be able to get the dealer to cover the cps under a recall. I have a letter here for a recall on mine but I have already changed mine out.

·
Registered
886 Posts
P0381 Glow Plug Indicator Circuit Error

P0231 Fuel Pump Relay Dvr Circuit Fail On

Any blown fuses?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may be able to get the dealer to cover the cps under a recall. I have a letter here for a recall on mine but I have already changed mine out.
i already had the update done, and natural they threw the old one out as i asked to keep it for a spare.....what part# is the napa cps???? im headed down there soon...

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would look here first.

Here is a description of the code: CODE P0231

Note: Voltage is present for 20 seconds after key on with engine not running.

DTC P0231 indicates voltage was not present on fuel pump monitor circuit when the fuel pump was commanded on.
Possible causes:
open inertia switch
blown F/P fuse
open fuel pump monitor circuit
open fuel pump control circuit
faulty fuel pump relay

Disconnect inertia switch harness connector.
Key on, engine off. :Measure voltage of circuit 238 (DG/YE) between inertia switch harness connector and ground.: Is the voltage greater than 10.5 V?

No: RESET or INSTALL a new inertia switch. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.

Yes: CHECK FUEL PUMP MONITOR CIRCUIT
Install breakout box; leave PCM disconnected.
Measure resistance of circuit 737 (PK/BK) between inertia switch harness connector and PCM test pin 40

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would look here first.

Here is a description of the code: CODE P0231

Note: Voltage is present for 20 seconds after key on with engine not running.

DTC P0231 indicates voltage was not present on fuel pump monitor circuit when the fuel pump was commanded on.
Possible causes:
open inertia switch
blown F/P fuse
open fuel pump monitor circuit
open fuel pump control circuit
faulty fuel pump relay

Key on, engine off. :Measure voltage of circuit 238 (DG/YE) between inertia switch harness connector and ground.: Is the voltage greater than 10.5 V?

No: RESET or INSTALL a new inertia switch. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.

Yes: CHECK FUEL PUMP MONITOR CIRCUIT
Install breakout box; leave PCM disconnected.
Measure resistance of circuit 737 (PK/BK) between inertia switch harness connector and PCM test pin 40
ill check for fuses now, and get a different cps... that other stuff is getting more complicated for me thou... i have no idea where that stuff is... :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fuses ok and put in new cps and still no luck....... i can get it started, but it sputters like if shes running on 3 cyliders and it smokes blueish...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts