Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reminds me of an electrical problem I had years ago. Engine died intermittently with no stumbling. I‘d sit for various lengths of time and it would magically start. Various mechanics threw parts at it to no avail. Finally an old timer spotted a cracked coil wire that would occasionally touch the block and ground out the system!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, "T", sounds like some great advice coming from the troops. My only additional input, if all else fails, is to drop the tank, and check the fuel line strainers in the float assembly. I doubt it's the problem, but they are known to block up with an algae like substance. And "S" having a similar issue seems to have found his problem was in the tank. Both of my strainers were blocked on my '00, but it did not shut down the engine ( a hydro lock took care of that later on ), it was just kind of stumbly and such. And how about the lift pump? Best of luck, hope you find the cure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had an issue in my 02 7.3 like this. Turns out it was the Bluetooth OBD scanner I keep plugged into the OBD port. Something about it affects the ECU. Usually it is when I am querying too many sensors. Shuts the ECU down. I had this happen a few times on the highway. Had to coast to the shoulder, wait and restart it. I've used the same OBDII reader on a few other vehicles, never had a problem. Go figure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Some follow-up.

First, thanks to everyone who has submitted their suggestions and explained their past experiences.

My neighbor around the block has Forscan (?) and another piece of software which pulled various codes from the truck. I was able to bring the truck there after an ICP replacement (see below). The truck actually died in the street just before he could get the software going, so he ended up not capturing that event, he said. It never threw a “check engine light” (CEL).

In looking at the results, the Cam Position Sensor (CPS) came up a couple of times, as did the Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor. The codes may have been old, as I’ve had issues with the CPS in the past and had replaced it. More recently, I had replaced two Motorcraft sensors (new)... then on to an aftermarket after my truck stalled twice. Each time it started after I had worked on the CPM, but I had not connected the time component... as in, waiting even ten minutes to replace the CPS (you get pretty good at it after replacing it three times) allowed me to start the truck.... so I was thinking faulty CPS sensors from a large vendor. After it stalled the third time, I ruled out the possibility of the CPS.

While waiting for those CPS, and reading some early suggestions, I replaced the ICP. It was oily inside the connector housing. Replacing only the ICP didn’t correct the problem of stalling, but the sensor required replacement due to the failure of the sensor being able to keep oil on the engine side of things (the electronics should have zero oil).

This brings me back to the day the truck was scanned. My nighbor had asked if I “replaced the ICPs harness?” I had not and he said the oil could cause resistance enough to cause problems.

The scan showed, as far as my neighbor could tell, the injectors were working... as well as the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) (to someone like myself before this ordeal, the HPOP sends oil to the injectors. At least for my Powerstroke 7.3L high oil pressure created by the pump is needed to have the injectors work).

So, between the EBPS popping up in the scan, the suggestion about the harness.... and other things I read about the injectors with oil backing into the fuel filter which outlines another issue (I needed a new fuel filter anyhow...)... I ordered a new IPR sensor; a connector pigtail for the ICP; and a fuel filter.

All parts came in by today, and I did the following:

• Removed and installed the IPR.
  • removed the terminal end of the ICP connector (I cut about an inch away from the OEM connector and found evidence that oil infiltrated to at least the location of where I cut, so I cleaned it with electrical cleaner and prettied up the copper with sand paper, prepping it for soldering... which I decided to act on a suggestion to do so reading up on comments below a Youtube video). Then soldered the replacement pigtail in, heatshrink tubed it and applied the protective outer plastic sleeve.
-I removed the EBPS, then removed the tube which is the pathway between it and the pass. side exhaust manifold. I cleaned the tube and reinstalled it to make room for the new EBPS.
  • I replaced the fuel filter;
  • And finally, rotated out the aftermarket CPS for the Ford Motorcraft one.
Afterward, I idled my truck to operational, drove it around the block, then neighborhood, then further. I drove it for 25 miles and brought it home. No stalling.

I can’t rule out which “cause” was the culprit. My neighbor suspects the EBPS was probably the target issue in my case, but the IPR may well have been contributing... as well as the ICP harness, perhaps.

The truck seems to run better than pre-issue. Acceleration is smoother and it’s response to throttle seems more effective now than pre-issue. Most importantly, it hadn’t died on me.

The sensors I replaced, aside from the CPS, were all original to the truck.. and I’m the original owner. Some folks state some of those sensors, like the EBPS, can or should be replaced as some type of maint. I’ve replaced the CPS only; one before the recall years ago, and one after... both with the International model, which worked great.

So my approach was least invasive ($$$) to more. Though sensors are not cheap, the truck IS 18 years old, and I feel the sensors I did buy paid for themselves in diagnostics and shop fees for replacement.

In any event, I hope this post helps someone in the future. Again, thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Redceck,

Pull the connectors on the ICP and IPR and look for oil in the connectors. When the ICP starts to fail oil will leak through causing problems with the connector. In the case of the IPR oil intrusion can cause similar problems, but this is much less likely it seems (at least from my reading).

Cj

21 - 27 of 27 Posts