Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm having a helluva time trying to diagnose a friends truck...Here's what I've done so far,

Started out with a no cel, no connection to my MAC scanner.
Checked all fuses, all were ok so I eplaced the pcm. Now I have a cel, but no wait to start light, and only one code p1000 and still No start.
My datastream only shows a couple of things, most are blank but I have no rpm when cranking...so I put a new CPS in, still no rpm, no start.
I backprobed the pcm for vref and have 5v there, i unplugged the pcm and checked all of the 12v and gnd circuits, all good. So took the plunge and put an idm in it...still nothing.
INJ buzz test wont run, koeo test gives me a bunch of emissions codes

p0443
p1124
p1289
p1451
p1549
p1709

I'm stuck, any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time

Tony

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Does it have a chip plugged into the pcm?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I ran into that problem once. But the contacts on the PCM were not clean enough and it had no wait to start light.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Funny you asked that, I just found out that's the root of all this, he kicked the chip out by accident while running and thats the last time the truck ran...

Tony
That's why you duct tape the chip into the PCM, and duct tape the switch connector to the chip.

·
"mad cow" member
642 Posts
The first thing that sticks out to me is the codes you list pertain to DTC's for ford gas engines.

The lack of normal data stream no tach and its inability to perform the buzz test most likely leads to one of the below;
New pcm is fried, bad pcm relay, pcm wire harness shorted, scanner is not compatible or doesn't have the diesel diagnostic package installed or activated.

The no "wait to start" light could be caused by a shorted fuel heater, short in main under hood wire harness caused by chafing anywhere it touches metal, bad pcm or relay, burnt out WTS light bulb.
Unless the bulb is popped it aint gonna start till you fix the cause of the no wait to start light.
Disconnect the fuel heater recheck all the fuses and relays under dash and hood with a multimeter or continuity tester, not visually.
Thoroughly inspect the under hood wire harness.
Fully charge the batteries.
Does it have fuel pressure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first thing that sticks out to me is the codes you list pertain to DTC's for ford gas engines.

The lack of normal data stream no tach and its inability to perform the buzz test most likely leads to one of the below;
New pcm is fried, bad pcm relay, pcm wire harness shorted, scanner is not compatible or doesn't have the diesel diagnostic package installed or activated.

The no "wait to start" light could be caused by a shorted fuel heater, short in main under hood wire harness caused by chafing anywhere it touches metal, bad pcm or relay, burnt out WTS light bulb.
Unless the bulb is popped it aint gonna start till you fix the cause of the no wait to start light.
Disconnect the fuel heater recheck all the fuses and relays under dash and hood with a multimeter or continuity tester, not visually.
Thoroughly inspect the under hood wire harness.
Fully charge the batteries.
Does it have fuel pressure?
No blown fuses eliminates the fuel bowl heater, (i unplugged it, the ipr and ebp to make sure they werent shorted, pulled all the relays(except the pcm power since it wont talk without it), no change, unplugged the idm, no change. Fuel pump powers up for a split second at key on then shuts off.

I tried my scanner on a 00 and an 02 and it works properly, buzz test works, all the datastream is functional.

Any more ideas?

Tony:confused:

·
<---- my shop
1,297 Posts
does the pcm have the correct flash done to it?????

I had a similar problem when i had to replace my pcm..... I trailered it to my local ford dealership and one of my buddies installed the latest update to the pcm and it fired right up.

This was after a week of me checking everything that i could think of including ohm testing both the wire harness and the engine compartment harness(pita)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does the pcm have the correct flash done to it?????

I had a similar problem when i had to replace my pcm..... I trailered it to my local ford dealership and one of my buddies installed the latest update to the pcm and it fired right up.

This was after a week of me checking everything that i could think of including ohm testing both the wire harness and the engine compartment harness(pita)
That seems to be it, i just borrowed another pcm, plugged it in, it fired right up. WTF??? I had to give a vin to get the pcm in the first place...why in the world would it not have the right flash in it??? I'm making a phone call to the dealer in the morning:mad:

Thanks for all the help.

Tony

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I bought a PMT1 from another member on here. Threw it in my truck, and it ran better than it did with the original XLE4. If you threw another PCM in and it ran, you had a bad PCM. These trucks will run with just about any PCM in them, maybe not well, but they will run. The 7.3 is just a motor, it is not some magical pixie thing that every thing has to be perfect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts