Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I’m going to install a 6.0 F350 304 SS Exhaust on my 6.0 excursion. I was only seeing 409 SS or aluminized steel kits specifically for the Ex. I’ve read that a kit for a F250 will and will not work. Things about the hanger which makes sense, the bends in the over the axle portion, about having to cut 3” off the down pipe and the straight up length.

Does anyone have experience installing a 6.0 F250/350 aftermarket exhaust on to a 6.0 Excursion? I also got a killer deal on this 304 SS exhaust so that is the real driver here. Plus the benefits of the higher quality stainless.

I will post all my findings along the way but any ‘hey before you get started’ information would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
Are you keeping the muffler and/or cat?
If not, fitting the piping from the down pipe to the rear axle just involves fitting and cutting. If the aforementioned 2 are staying, then there's a lot more fitting involved.
Remember, measure twice, cut once.... If beer is involved, measure until you get the same measurements twice , then cut.
Basically, the platforms are the same. The difference in fitting is going to be between the up-pipe, the "bended" cat pipe and where the tail pipe starts (goes over the axle). Keeping A muffler will change where the tailpipe needs to start, keeping /deleting the cat, will change the mid-pipe length.
It's all about cutting the right piece, to the right length.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I’ll be removing the cat but keeping the MBRP muffler. I will be starting on it tomorrow, some of the hangers on the F250 are different so I’ll have to have someone re weld them into their proper places.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yea I’ll be removing the cat but keeping the MBRP muffler. I will be starting on it tomorrow, some of the hangers on the F250 are different so I’ll have to have someone re weld them into their proper places.

I didn't use mbrp, but that's what I found important on the fitting /cutting part. I took 5 hours, with a helper, to fit my exhaust, not "1 or 2 hrs by myself" as some reviews suggest. But my exhaust ended up fitting great and w/o any vibration noise.
Take your time and it will work out.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hope it's not too late to offer a bit of advice on this. First, as 6Riders said, yes, they're basically the same with some minor fitting issues. I have the aluminized Diamondeye kit for the F-250 on my Excursion. Everything fit just fine with the exception of the muffler placement and getting the rear pipes over the axle properly. My kit didn't require any cutting....they do a real good job making one kit fit both vehicles without cutting, so I would imagine MBRP would be at least as good or better in that regard. The hardest part is it takes time and we're not patient people. lol I would say that once you figure out how to get the muffler where you want it with the hangers they provide, go take a break and come back with a blank slate as to how the rest goes in so you're not going into the hardest part already frustrated.

Most kits have the rest of the piping from the muffler back cut into two sections, and the one that goes over the axle we tend to see them going on with the pipe exiting straight down after the axle....so that's how I put mine on initially. When you connect the tail pipe, nothing works. It hits the springs, can't fit between the fuel tank and the shock, won't line up, etc. I had the biggest problem getting it lined up. It was to the point that I finally gave up and just ran it without the last piece for a while. I revisited it later on and wouldn't you know it, I was able to get it line up perfectly in about two minutes once I pulled my head out of my a$$. What did I do? Connect both pieces, have a helper (or a jack stand) support the tip of the tail pipe while you rotate both the tail pipe and the pipe that goes over the axle at the same time. Try various positions you might not think would work. I actually wound up rotating it the opposite direction of what I thought I would have to. I don't remember which way, but I'm just saying I was trying everything and what worked didn't seem like it should have. Only once you get it close should you put the final hangers/clamps on, and only when you're certain it's where you want it should you tighten them down. Oh, and if that pipe is above 4" in diameter it's going to be a real tight fit between the tank and the shock, but once you get it lined up right there won't be any problems with rubbing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope your advice it right on time. You know how it goes with planning things... plus I got two kids under 3.

I’ve taken this whole week off so between the 06 350 getting bulletproofed and the 03 excursion exhaust, I should be able to get both tasks completed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts