Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Which turbo

4K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Extended Power 
#1 ·
i have been reading an listening about turbo talk. elite sells an upgraded vgt and then they have the bb turbos without the vgt. if i am goin to be mainly using the truck for towing and daily driving, when the time comes should i go with the upgraded stock units and the 185 injectors or would that pose a heat issue while towing?

#2 ·
there tow-power or high-power turbos would work great with the 185s.Id go with the tow-power for great low end response and heavy towing,and the high-power would be my choice for great street able performance and more power than the tow-power turbo can produce you could still tow with this charger it will just be alittle laggier than the tow-power.

#3 ·
Would I need the head studs and the fire ring mod? Just head studs? stock? I dont do any real heavy towing, i keep it under 8k for the most part, i have a camper i tow and a cargo trailer with atvs in it. we do go up to the mountains with the atv trailer though

are you going to be at chapanoke sat night for the pull? Doug has spoke of you quit a bit. He has his truck at your shop waiting on the vgt. Its his fault i am even thinking of this now.

#8 ·
you would not need fire rings,head studs is never a bad idea on a 6.0L but I dont think just putting one of the chargers on we talked about would cause instant head gasket issues,if your not towing over 8k then Id go with the high power charger and have alittle more fun.I should be at chapanoke for the pull,but if Im not there its becuase Im putting my truck back together finally got all my parts in.Know its time to spank some D-max a--.:rockwoot:

#4 ·
Just studs would be fine... No reason for rings unless your going to spray HEAVY...

#5 ·
nah no spray here, just drive and tow. might hook it to the sled one day

#7 ·
we can do that to your truck. i will video tape it

#12 ·
if i go through the trouble of tearing into my mess i am going to make it worth my while. i might wait and see how yours turns out first

#15 ·
They( D maxes) have issues also had one in the shop that came from the dealer or should say dealers .The powers that be started blindly replacing parts and it just turned into a pissing match. I guess if you live somewhere that has some real diag. talent it is good here where I live there is too many know it alls and parts changers.

#14 ·
whatever floats your boat. me personally, i would of took it to another stealership and pay the 100 deductable

#16 ·
same way here. plus you have the ifs bs to deal with.

#17 ·
I have schooled a few Dmaxes that in the past kicked my ass it was sweet revenge whoopin @$$ with my new truck. Even went top end with one and drove off and my turd has 4.10's . HEHE My shat ain't the fastest but it is fun.

#18 ·
I would buy a non-vgt from Blackwidowdiesel.com. Then after you pull a couple of times and get hooked on power you can call them back up and add the second turbo.

#19 ·
wow that twin tow set up is a bad lookin unit. i think if i had to do the studs and all i migh as well do the injectors and do the next step up in the trubos. would that still make it tow friendly?

#23 ·
so what is the big advantage of running a twin set up without a tune? once you get near 32 psi dont you need studs? why would the injectors cause you to gain that much more boost? sorry if these questions seem a bit ignorant, but i am still learning

#28 ·
The more fuel you have the more exhaust flow and since the turbo are not at there max yet they will make more boost.

The stock vgt is very restrictive and creates alot of back pressure. By changing the turbos you relieve alot of this pressure and the motor becomes more efficient. The same reason you put on a larger exhaust.

Here is a link to my pictures of the cab removed:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2137232830065538812FtAPMf

Here is a link to a pull - had issues with the Tranny on this pull but watch how the trubos clean up the smoke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-owjOwRJLc

#26 ·
you had better not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.