Moving to Alaska... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Moving to Alaska...

Howdy! Well, I'm up for an extreme climate change and we're moving to AK!

I'm planning block heaters, engine and trans pan heaters for both vehicles.

I'm also planning a transferflow toolbox/aux tank set-up and a CB with some power for those long highways without cell coverage.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2008 F250 CCSB FX4
DPF/DOC Delete, Spartan, Banks (previous owner installed crap) Intake and Cat-back, OUO Traction Bars, 40gal TFI Tank/Toolbox, EDE Studs, HG's, and EGR Delete w/ wastegate

1969 F250 RCLB Highboy
360/4-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Moving to Alaska...

What part? Southern alaska you don't need trans pan heater. Definatly build a good emergency kit, blankets, food water, spare parts, radio, flares, anthing and everything.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Fairbanks. I was going to use the toolbox part of the tank/toolbox combo I want to store the emergency kit.

I heard from a friend from there today to put trickle-chargers in the vehicles instead of battery heaters. I guess there's been a few car fires and toasted batteries from them.

2008 F250 CCSB FX4
DPF/DOC Delete, Spartan, Banks (previous owner installed crap) Intake and Cat-back, OUO Traction Bars, 40gal TFI Tank/Toolbox, EDE Studs, HG's, and EGR Delete w/ wastegate

1969 F250 RCLB Highboy
360/4-speed

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ok, so I spent the night doing lots of research and have it about narrowed down to what I'm going to order.

I've got a block heater cord for mine, a block heater for the wife's, oil pan and trans pan heaters for both, and onboard battery tenders for both.

I was thinking about cutting the male plug ends off all those, soldering some ring terminals on, and installing them on a 3-prong terminal box so I can have just one cord running out of the vehicles. Is there any reason why that would be a bad idea? Just curious as I've never ran that sort of equipment before...

Thanks!

2008 F250 CCSB FX4

1969 F250 RCLB Highboy
360/4-speed
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 05:16 PM
PSN Pretender

When you get up here just visit Napa, they have 4-way boxes and 3-way cords already set up for winterization.

For diesels, you will need at least 125 watts total for your oil pan heater(s), 75 for your trans, and a functioning block heater.

Dont mess with the battery heater/ blankets, they are all garbage. I dont run any type of warmer or charger for my batterys and have no issues. In fact the local battery guys wont warranty a battery if you have them.

You will need to switch to a synthetic motor oil, expensive, but worth every penny when the needle drops to -60.

Drop me a line when you get up here if you want to check out my setup. I am in North Pole, about 15 miles from Fairbanks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I had planned to order the stuff and have it for the trip up, we'll be driving in the colder months. I'll shoot you a pm when we get there!

2008 F250 CCSB FX4

1969 F250 RCLB Highboy
360/4-speed
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 AM
PSN Pretender

Cool, have a safe trip and pack plenty of fuel for the trip though Canada. Fuel stations are few and far between, usually closed, and a lil scary.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I'm ordering a 40gal aux tank for my truck and carrying an extra 20gal gas for my wife's!

2008 F250 CCSB FX4

1969 F250 RCLB Highboy
360/4-speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode