Cali guys and tuners - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Cali guys and tuners

So how is everyone going about getting their tuners? I don't want to be the dummy here, but it's probably too late for that. Are diesel sites and shops not even selling those things to us, or is it more, here you go but you didn't get it from us and your on your own?

I've been reading a few things online about the smog issues, and how to get around them, and I'm doing a few minor things to my 6.0 2006 Lariat and I'd like to throw a tuner on there too. I'm looking at the iTSX for android from SCT since I'm putting a big tablet in my dash already for a custom stereo system. One of the things I read was to take all screens, even the Edge CTS, out when you go to get the truck smogged.

So my thought behind that was that if I go with that one, I can do my tunes, and then when I get it smogged I can just make sure that app is off the tablet and it's just the music app that turns on or whatever. No screen to worry about.

The other one I was looking at was Livewire but that would be a screen to take out.

What are you guys doing, and how are you getting them with the custom tunes here in Nazifornia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:33 PM
PSN Local

Re: Cali guys and tuners

You can get a tuner and tunes no problem. But when smog time comes around you will have to remove said tune and tuner from the vehicle. When I was talking to my local smog shop a friend of mine works at said once they plug into the OBD2 port if anything reads out of a certain parameter from stock it will fail the truck. I even had a California "approved" edge cts the last smog and I had to completely remove it and drive it for like 75 miles to reset some sensors it was changing to finally get it to pass. The only ones that are California "black listed" are the ones that have delete capabilities, but are still able to be had if you look in the right places.

I don't know how accurate and truthful they are with the OBD2 portion they were talking about, but it seems pretty spot on. I stood right there and watched the smog computer fail it.

1995 7.3 CCLB 4wd-160/80 Rosewood injectors-T500 HPOP-Modded H2E-99 Aluminum intercooler-6.0 Tranny cooler-DIY E-fuel-Exhaust-PHP tunes-SOLD!!

2003 F250 CCSB 2wd-ARP headstuds-Powermax-Stock Intake w/ Zoodad mod-Bulletproff EGR-4" straight pipe exhaust-SCT x4 w/ Gearhead tunes-PHP Ficm Tuner
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yeah that's about in line with what they said on the article. Let me see if I can find it again, just for everyone elses reference. I'm sure it's posted on here somewhere.

I thought about just using the one from SCT, the iTSX 4015EO, which is California approved and the EO stands for the Executive Order number. The parameters of the canned tunes on it are street around 100rwhp, tow--adds 65rwhp, and economy--adds 80rwhp. I don't know if those will be good for what I'm having done or not. I don't think so.

Here's that link: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1...s_a_smog_test/

What part of Cali are you in OBS73?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:25 PM
PSN Local

I'm live in Hanford California, not far from Fresno. That tuner has no custom support, so you would be stuck with the canned tunes. If you're planning on turbo and injector mods, canned tunes will not benefit you much.

1995 7.3 CCLB 4wd-160/80 Rosewood injectors-T500 HPOP-Modded H2E-99 Aluminum intercooler-6.0 Tranny cooler-DIY E-fuel-Exhaust-PHP tunes-SOLD!!

2003 F250 CCSB 2wd-ARP headstuds-Powermax-Stock Intake w/ Zoodad mod-Bulletproff EGR-4" straight pipe exhaust-SCT x4 w/ Gearhead tunes-PHP Ficm Tuner
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

yeah I've been talking with Innovative via email. I'm thinking I'll just do it the right way and save me some headaches.

I don't know if I'll go that far, too early to tell. Wife already isn't happy about the lift and tires and wheels and exhaust, tuner, etc. But this is my toy. I did think about swapping to the powermax turbo some time down the line. Have other priorities to do with it before I go to very far with it. All the upgrades, blue spring, drain pipes, studs, gaskets, egr and oil coolers etc. Lots to do. Lot of parts to save up and accumulate.

I'm on the southern part of Sac in Elk Grove. Right on the edge of city and rural. Like literally if you go one more street over it's nothing but farmland. Go the opposite direction and it's housing. . Love where I live!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:01 PM
PSN Local

I used to stop in Elk Grove quite a bit, really nice city. If you do in fact do the powermax, I would think about custom tunes at that point. When I threw mine on, even with the canned SCT tuners it seems laggy (some people claim it is fine and doesn't need tuning, but to me it just didn't feel that way). Once I ordered my tunes from Gearhead and told them I had the Powermax it was night and day.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I don't know when that'll happen. I just dropped a bunch of money for lift, wheels, tires, exhaust, etc and still have to order my tuner. So I'll pay this off, then maybe I'll get done with my 94 motor between now and then. Then I'll pull the top half off, do the oil and egr coolers, gaskets, studs, stc fitting, etc.

I did buy the blue spring kit yesterday. So I'll have that to do also. Want to do the 6.4 banjo bolts too, but I haven't looked too much into what's all involved with doing those. What I need to do is make a shelf for the parts when I accumulate them lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 AM
Terminator Nation

What year truck do you have?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode