ILL Laws - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

ILL Laws

Not sure if you have seen my post about getting arrested. I have found a bunch of changes to the ILL vehicle codes that will affect us truck owners in ILL.

1st off they have changed the license plate requirements here. Trucks need to be plated to cover the door sticker GVWR. This means a D plate is required on all 3/4 or 1 ton truckes licensed in this state. Failure to do so is an open invitation to some seriously expensive tickets. Incorrect plates can net you a overweight ticket of up to $1800 and Class C misdemeanor ticket for no safety sticker. I also found out a B plate or a passenger plate on a Excursion or suburban is illegal. Even though these are considered passenger vehicles they are required to follow the plate laws for the pickups.

2nd new law which seems to be a county or city thing is the trailer ball. I have heard from multiple people from different areas in and around Cook county who have gotten tickets for driving around with thier reciever in the hitch. I am trying to get a exact code but so far have not found it. What i have been told is if the insert sticks out more than 4" it is illegal. If it is a non removable style it has to have a RED cover attached to it.

3rd is the lift laws in IL have gotten stricter. If you are over the limit on frame or bumper height it is now a class C misdemeanor in IL. This ticket will get your truck impounded at the traffic stop. The heights laws for trucks over 7500# GVWR are
28" front bumper
30" rear bumper
28" to the frame in between the tires
ILL state police are cracking down on this and i have heard of 2 other people besides myself that have gotten ticketed since July 1st on I90 between Huntly and Rockford.

Tony

02 Excursion CR conversion with a few go fast parts
The truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
should have built

FOR SALE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Was PSD0389

Re: ILL Laws

Wow those are pretty dam strict. Im not sure how all those affect me cause I live in northern, il. But I have my truck registered at our house in wisconsin. I know I dont have to worry about the class for illinois then. Would illinois lift laws apply for my truck?

03 F-350 CCLB King ranch undergoing a 6.0 delete
99 Fummins- SOLD
95 F250- SOLD
08 6.4- Totaled 12/19/10
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
ARMY bound

DAMN

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 PM
PSN Newb

matt since u r registered in wis u dont have to worry about that at all
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Matt,
If you look at Tom's post in NEVRNF's other thread, the law actually says it applies to 'any vehicle on a public road', which seems to indicate they don't care where it is plated. You'd probably have to go to court to fight it, because you know the cops will right the ticket and/or impound the truck if they even think they have a ghost's chance of getting away with it. That is just the nature of that whole bloody state.

Go ARMY!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:30 PM
dmd

Ill is about a wacky as CA with the laws...

'00 F350 Supercrewzer Lariet, PSD, Auto, 3.73, CC, 4x4, SWB, SRW, 160/30 w/Gearhead Tunes, 38r, S&B CAI, 4-inch turbo back exhaust, Adrenaline HPOP, BTS Trans, in-tank/pre-pump mod, heater/AC mod, Excursion sound panels, Harvest Gold and Black / Packages: Trailer Tow, Camper, Off-Road.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Got some more info today. ILL is having a state wide crackdown on lifted trucks. This started August 1 and will run untill who knows when. From what i have learned it is due to some serious accidents since the 1st of the year involving lifted trucks.
As far as where you are licensed. It does not matter. If you travel on the roads here they can ticket you.

Matt, Is your drivers license IL or Wisc? If it is IL and the truck is not registered here you are in violation of the law and can be charged for not having your truck registered at your current address.

Tony

02 Excursion CR conversion with a few go fast parts
The truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
should have built

FOR SALE
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Was PSD0389

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRNF View Post
Got some more info today. ILL is having a state wide crackdown on lifted trucks. This started August 1 and will run untill who knows when. From what i have learned it is due to some serious accidents since the 1st of the year involving lifted trucks.
As far as where you are licensed. It does not matter. If you travel on the roads here they can ticket you.

Matt, Is your drivers license IL or Wisc? If it is IL and the truck is not registered here you are in violation of the law and can be charged for not having your truck registered at your current address.
Well good thing Im moving to Ohio in two weeks then. My license is in Il. Ive been pulled over a couple of times in Il. and WI. and they have never given me any trouble for having my truck registered at our house up north and having my license be in Il. I know a couple others that do that as well. I didnt know it was against the law

03 F-350 CCLB King ranch undergoing a 6.0 delete
99 Fummins- SOLD
95 F250- SOLD
08 6.4- Totaled 12/19/10
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:56 PM
ARMY bound

Most of my stuff is registered in IL and I've pulled over a few times in AZ with an AZ license with no problems. I just tell them I live in both states.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:08 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to IL7.3 Powerstroker

Tony, did you post this on the other forums?
I will have to spread the word

2002 F-350 Supercab longbed
AFE intake Bully Dog 5" exhaust
Swamps sticks, DP tuned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode