HELP touchy steering problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

HELP touchy steering problem

Heys guys long time stalker first time poster! I have an 04 f250 ccsb 4wd new tires (duratraks) I know I know! New hub bearings drag link steering box steering damper rotors brakes..caliper pins not froze u joints take grease to all bearing ends! Ah I think that's it! It drives like a worn out lawn mower! I will say a smooth road it goes straight but as soon as u hit a bump it swerves left or right when u correct its to much etc etc etc! Ball joints are fine with no dragging or tight spots! Its like something is shifting It sort of feels like rear end is gonna pass front end! I've ordered leaf spring bushings should be in this week! I've got new ball joints u joints seals but reluctant to installed cause I can't find anything wrong with them but considering just to no its all new! I'm ready to go camping but a little scared to pull camper with wife and kids in truck! Any ideas or insight would be great! Thanks oh and it started this before I done any work and has got better but not where it was when I bought it 2 years ago!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: HELP touchy steering problem

Wow 19 views and still no insight come on guys point me in a direction I'm stumped
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 02:21 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

i read a thread where a guy had lots of new components but a re-used a fatigued jamb nut or something similar that was not holding... if i come across it i'll post it.
edit: i didn't immediately find it lol, maybe later

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Guilty on all counts

Same size tires all around? I once had different profile (larger) tires on the rear and it made the truck very twitchy to drive. Very simplistic suggestion, but easy to eliminate! Hope you get it sorted!

2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3
2000 F350 4x4 CC SWB
1988 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 (can I squeeze a 7.3 under the hood?)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

All same size tires! Keepem coming fellas! I'm at wits end I don't want to do all that work and have no results! It usually makes wife smile! Lol
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 06:38 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

here's that thread lol! they are saying that a re-used pitman arm nut may begin to back out & cause slop
https://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...loose+steering
clicky^^^
just ignore my ramblings in it lol

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Administrator

i couldn't follow

did the problem show up with the tires ?
a common complaint with Dura's is the washy feeling

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 PM
PSN Newb

Many times the toe setting can correct a wondering problem. Most alignment shops set the toe setting at 0 or toe out. Doing this is fine with a factory short sidewall e rated tire but with aftermarket tires with a softer side wall. I would recommend setting the toe in about 3/8" to 1/2". Measure from rim to rim front and back of the front axle at the same distance from the ground at about center of the rim and compare the measurements. The rear should be 3/8" to 1/2" wider than the front measurement. Adjust the tie rod to make adjustments. This may affect the drag link setting so you may need to adjust it to straighten the wheel.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

4WPhelper. I did move toe in about a quarter inch and did help some but its more stiff and darts more than wonders.....the ball joints move pretty free IMO the tie rods are tight but spin free with a drift punch in cotter pin hole there's no side to side play in them but I've heard of some up and down senerios but seem OK to me I've got grease coming out of all u joint caps which I guess don't mean nothing but I done the 0°and 180° test with tie rods off and nothing all moves free! Some of leaf spring bushings seem a littlecracked so iI'm gonna try that hopefully Friday night and see if it helps check everything over again and get another alingment. If anyone reads this from the Marion Indiana area that has a treating alignment man that would be great! I kinda of getting the impression most of these places here do the old toe-and-go! And don't think that's helping me any!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks again
comments still welcome and much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode