Moving to IL any info would be great - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question Moving to IL any info would be great

1st post on the forum but I've been hanging around and doing a lot of reading for a while. In fact I never post anything because I find my answers by searching. Reason for this post is I've done a bit of searching on emissions controls in IL most of the posts are 2 years+. I would assume that's because nothing's changed, but I'd rather not move there and then have to bite off a large chunk of change altering some aftermarket mods on my truck because I assumed. County info may matter, I think it's Dupage if not then Cook. Haven't completely decided, it's up to my boss(wife).

This is the info off of the FAQ's on the Illinois EPA website.

Q. Why doesn't this program test diesel powered vehicles?
A. The federal Clean Air Act does not require the inclusion of diesel-powered vehicles in emissions testing programs. However, the State of Illinois has implemented a program to inspect certain heavy-duty diesel powered trucks over 16,000 lbs in ozone non-attainment areas. This program is administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Q. Does this program test heavy-duty vehicles?
A.Vehicle Emissions testing is required on all 2007 or newer model year heavy duty vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) between 8,501 and 14,000.

I have an 05 Excursion 6.0L. From the FAQ's I know that my vehicle does not undergo an emission test.

Will it have to undergo a visual inspection? I would be moving from out of state, I'm not sure if that changes anything. EGR is intact, for now , but Cat is removed and I have MBRP turbo back exhaust. I also have an edge insight installed on the dash that I use for gauges only.

Looks like I'll be pretty close to Heavy Metal performance, anyone use them before? I do work on my own truck but I'll be missing garage space and will have tools in storage for a while. Unless there's a hobby shop at the Naval Base in Great Lakes. Anyone use that before if there is one?

Thanks for any info and feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 04:46 PM
PSN Local

Re: Moving to IL any info would be great

No emissions testing in Illinois. Not sure about commercial vehicles, but have never had any of my vehicles tested.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
PSN Local

No testing in Illinois. February of this year I registered my truck in Illinois and never left Michigan. I transferred my D plates (wt class/8,000+) to a different truck. I had D plates so they wouldn't try pulling the lift laws on me. Probably should go back to the B (8,000 or less) since I don't have a lift. Anyway, both were a different wt/class and I didn't have to get emissions testing on either truck.

I've been to Great Lakes Naval Base a few times for medical (Marine here) and they don't check anything at the base either, just the usual military ID, drivers license, registration, proof of insurance. Good luck!

2003 F350 Lariat, 7.3 CCSB. Stock as of now

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Hood Rich

Send a message via AIM to CTC DEEZUL

Id stay out of Crook county... Id move to NW Indiana If I were you.

NWI Coal Rollers Association

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Local 444- Rolling Coal Teamsters
via Beans Toonz
DI SS Up-Pipe
GTP38R
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the replies. Good info. I don't have a lift so that won't be an issue yet, who knows what I'll do in the future. Thanks for the heads up on Cook. I'll look into it more. My wife's family is in DuPage and Illinois probably has some of the better benefits to being a disabled vet. So that's why we would be heading in that direction.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:23 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD2623 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Good info. I don't have a lift so that won't be an issue yet, who knows what I'll do in the future. Thanks for the heads up on Cook. I'll look into it more. My wife's family is in DuPage and Illinois probably has some of the better benefits to being a disabled vet. So that's why we would be heading in that direction.
I never had an issue with my lifted trucks anyway. I just upped the weight just in case. From what I hear out of all 50 states Illinois is number 1 in benefits for veterans.

2003 F350 Lariat, 7.3 CCSB. Stock as of now
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM
There can be only one

Can't have B plates on a SD in IL. The DMV may let you do it but they told me that the cops can pull you over if they're not D plates. I wanted to transfer my Route 66 plates but they gave me a ton of grief.

2002 F250 CCSB 7.3L
AFE Stage 2, Muffler delete, Zone Offroad Nitros, dual SS,305/55/20 Trail Graps, SSBC brakes, TS Wildman, Autometer gauges, 6.5" Lift, '11 TG step/camera, Pioneer AV4400BTH, International Badges
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Bird is the Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandre View Post
Can't have B plates on a SD in IL. The DMV may let you do it but they told me that the cops can pull you over if they're not D plates. I wanted to transfer my Route 66 plates but they gave me a ton of grief.
i've been running B plates on my 3/4 ton ex cab. lb for going on 6 years. been pulled over multiple times, never had an issue with plates. But i'm almost 150 miles south of Crook county. well, southern illinois according to anyone in that area

E99<---Sold

07.5 CumminGs
ARP
Air Dog 2
Industrial Injection
Draconian Diesel TCM
Anarchy Diesel EFI Live
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to IL7.3 Powerstroker

welcome to IL
where will you be living, Joliet?
Heavy Metal is a great shop!
Ron is a master at the Powerstroke!

2002 F-350 Supercab longbed
AFE intake Bully Dog 5" exhaust
Swamps sticks, DP tuned
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 03:05 AM
7.3 fan

I'm running "b" plates on an excursion, a F350 srw, and a Dually only time you'll have a prob. is if your hauling commercial and stop at a weigh station.

99 f350 7.3 srw super cab 290xxx miles zf LUK clutch bully dog afe and 4" mrbp
00 f350 7.3 drw cc 165xxx miles 4" exhaust auto
00 ex 7.3 afe 4" MRBP 185xxx miles 4" exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode