Whats the deal with the Diesel fluid ? - Page 3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Whats the deal with the Diesel fluid ?

Just got a flyr today from local Napa rep Valvoline DEF 2.5 gal wholesale $10.49 1 gal. $4.99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenshield View Post
I guess I could just rip off my DPF, CAT, and EGR in my 6.4. Put in a tune and wammo. I get the power, torque, fuel mileage and reliability of any 6.7 for 2K or less. We po' boys gotta do things a little differently to get modern performance.
You could,, but it still wouldn't be an '11,,,,

*48* Jim T. 2011 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, SRW. White Platinum Metallic Tricoat. Black leather seats, I probably wont have*PMS,, with this one, at least no major attacks of it!
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTJr View Post
Yea, I know it is the same, (nearly) as the 6.4, but I remember reading someplace that the 6.4 used all eight cylinders at once, where the 6.7 used one bank. Half the injectors for each regen, PLUS it does it less....because of the DEF....
That's why the 6.7 get's so much better mileage in stock trim.
I guess I didn't realize that the DEF was that large of an impact, I just figured it was primarily because of only 4 cylinders being used. (They can use 4 vs 8 ALSO,,,,because of the DEF I guess....) Hey, you can learn an old dog new tricks,,,,
I was not aware it only used 4 cyl. at a time. That is pretty cool I can't speak for the time between regens. Out on the highway mine has gone up to 400 mi between, but most of my driving is short city trips and I typically get 150 mi between regens. One other thing I noticed, If I'm driving 78ish on the turnpike, I'll get about 18 mpgs (gauge) and regen every 350 mi or so. if I slow it down to 65-70, I'll get about 19.5 mpgs (gauge) and regen every 160-200 mi, and end up getting the same mileage on the tank when I fill it up. All I can figure is its running just hot enough to help keep the dpf cleaner? does that make any sense?

To get moderately back on topic, I had heard you could get DEF at Flying J at the pump, but I have not seen it there. Am I looking in the wrong spot? Or did I hear wrong.

'11 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed XLT FX4 Midnight Black

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 AM
brandon

I have not seen it at any of the Flying Js but that is around Midland/ Lubbock.

2002 f-250 7.3 ex cab automatic, 4'' turbo back magnaflow exhaust. tonneau cover. SOLD
2011 f-250 6.7 Lariat fx4 with lots of extras!!Sold
2011 Screw Ecoboost 4x4 with ALL the options

Quote:
Excuses are like butts, everybody got one and they all stink!
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:08 AM
PSN Local

The left bank is the one that gets the extra fuel during a regen. The right bank feeds the EGR cooler, and therefore there is less heat in the EGR system during regen lowering stress on the EGR cooler. One of the many lessons they learned.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay03GT View Post
The left bank is the one that gets the extra fuel during a regen. The right bank feeds the EGR cooler, and therefore there is less heat in the EGR system during regen lowering stress on the EGR cooler. One of the many lessons they learned.
Just curios, How does that work? Now that I think about it I thought the heads dumped straight into the turbo, where the exhaust paths are then combined through two chargers?

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
PSN Veteran

6.7's only got one turbo.

2008 F250 CCSB FX4
DPF/DOC Delete, Spartan, Banks (previous owner installed crap) Intake and Cat-back, OUO Traction Bars, 40gal TFI Tank/Toolbox, EDE Studs, HG's, and EGR Delete w/ wastegate

1969 F250 RCLB Highboy
360/4-speed
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
6.7's only got one turbo.
One turbo, one compressor, one shaft, two chargers from the diagrams I have seen. Ford has it on their website

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Its got two compressor wheels in a funky compressor housing. They share a shaft with a single turbine wheel in it's own housing. This all makes one turbo.

Each bank, left and right, has its own discrete exhaust input on the turbine housing. That way the right bank can inject extra fuel for regen directly into the turbine housing and the left bank can feed directly into the EGR cooler for EGR, then continue back to the turbine housing.

2008 F250 CCSB FX4
DPF/DOC Delete, Spartan, Banks (previous owner installed crap) Intake and Cat-back, OUO Traction Bars, 40gal TFI Tank/Toolbox, EDE Studs, HG's, and EGR Delete w/ wastegate

1969 F250 RCLB Highboy
360/4-speed
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
Its got two compressor wheels in a funky compressor housing. They share a shaft with a single turbine wheel in it's own housing. This all makes one turbo.

Each bank, left and right, has its own discrete exhaust input on the turbine housing. That way the right bank can inject extra fuel for regen directly into the turbine housing and the left bank can feed directly into the EGR cooler for EGR, then continue back to the turbine housing.
Yeah, I get that part. I thought that the exhaust input was directly off the head to the turbo. I didn't realize there was any room for extra exhaust plumbing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode