anyone using banks ram air kit??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

anyone using banks ram air kit???

I know... not many banks fans here, but any input or opinions would be appreciated! It appears to be a well engineered piece!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 03:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: anyone using banks ram air kit???

It looks like it is pretty well designed but what about water and such getting sucked up through there?

2004 F350 6.0 ECSB Lariat. All the normal stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 05:03 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoker04 View Post
It looks like it is pretty well designed but what about water and such getting sucked up through there?
There was a mod for the dodges that didn't have the foglights where you cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox and ran an air duct down to the vent. They tested it in a downpour going puddle splashing and stuff and it didn't soak up any water. This looks like the same basic concept, unless i'm mistaken. If you drive through a lot of creeks I wouldn't recommend it, but if your staying on road I don't think you would have any problems. The open airbox really help keep stuff from being sucked up into the filter, but also really only makes it effective at high speeds

That is definitely going to be the best cold air option. I wish the slot wasn't so narrow at the bottom so you could put more air through it.

'11 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed XLT FX4 Midnight Black

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Yeah that would be somewhat of a restriction almost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yes the hole in the bottom of the box seems small... and they claim 26% increase in air flow. Im wondering if most of that increase is the filter itself??? It seems as though there are alot of mixed opinions about the AFE thats the reason I was looking into the banks.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Yeah most of those filters are just mesh screens and some sort of element thats why they require you to put oil on them. Somebody somewhere told me that the oil will ruin your engine??? Im not sure about that just what I heard but I like AFEs intakes

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Just saw a volant air intake system as well. Open air design looks to be the least restrictive!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx 250 View Post
Just saw a volant air intake system as well. Open air design looks to be the least restrictive!
Yeah the open intakes under the hood really dont get any cold air when you are sitting there at a light your getting nothing but warm/hot engine air.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:18 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx 250 View Post
Its not as much less restriction as it is properly getting cold air to the filter. Hot air is less dense, resulting in less oxygen per cubic inch, aka less air density. Granted you still have to have good airflow, but a box around the filter with proper ducting will result in better performance than an open air design

'11 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed XLT FX4 Midnight Black
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode