Tearing into the 6.7! - Page 3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM
bring the chain

Re: Tearing into the 6.7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpoage View Post
So is this a motor that were gonna be able to work on with the cab on or is it still gonna have to come off to pull the heads?
i personaly would rather pull the cab. once its off cake. everything is out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 PM
WWDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle43335 View Post
i personaly would rather pull the cab. once its off cake. everything is out of the way.
Which is fine when you have a lift available but like when we were at the diesel power challenge changing an uppipe in the hotel parking lot, that was the biggest PITA ever, i just wish these trucks were easier to work on in that aspect of things, too bad the whole hood and front fenders dont tilt back like they do on a big truck, that would mike life so much easier

couple trucks one fast one not
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM
PSN Local

The turbo does look pretty small, but you have to remember that is has two compressor wheels. This pic shows the inlet for the back compressor as well as the front.

I have to admit, I was entirely surprised at the size as well when we first tore into our 2011. We had fun tracing the air flow through all the chambers under the hood. It is quite the system.

http://www.hsperformance.com/Picture...e/DSC01494.JPG

EGR cooler

http://www.hsperformance.com/Picture...e/DSC01487.JPG

Intake Plenum (with "air mufflers", the little holes)

http://www.hsperformance.com/Picture...e/DSC01491.JPG

Turbo air intake / EGR mixing (someone needs to make an aftermarket on of these and the intake plenum!)

http://www.hsperformance.com/Picture...e/DSC01492.JPG

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 PM
GOLDILOXFX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
I'm also curious about the size of the turbo... Doesn't it have 1 wheel with viens of different sizes? One side for low RPM and the other side for greater sustained boost? Almost like the twin turbo on the 6.4 in a single housing, kind of the best of both worlds? If that's the case the initial opening is going to be smaller. But to tell the truth, it looks the same as the opening on the 76mm turbo on my mustang. I know the turbo on my mustang is capable of 30+ lbs of boost. I've had it push 22lbs easy, made 754 rwhp in the stang. I see what looks like about 22 lbs full throttle sustained on the 6.7 whenever I get on it at all. I wouldn't think Ford would put so much money into this turbo only to have to change it in a year just to keep up. It would be expensive to have to go back to the drawing board on this. There's more here than meets the eye for sure! But what is the size? Can't find that answer anywhere!
yes its a single turbo with dual impellers one for low rpm and 1 for high..dual impellers on each side of 1..if that makes since? looks like a directional tire i guess..its weird
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Do Work!

Send a message via AIM to boostfed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Dumb question time:

Are those holes (with the rags in them) above the valley/heads the intake? I always heard about the reverse flow and valley mounted exhaust manifolds, but then always wondered if the intake switched and was down on the sides (ya know, reverse flow and all)
Yes they are the intake ports. The valve covers on these motors are also the intake manifold in a sense.

After taking this thing apart, i can honestly say its my least favorite to work on, and I haven't started putting it back together. The turbo inlet pipes from the manifolds were a serious PITA coming apart. Anyone who is looking into diving into theirs, I'll say one thing. This thing is not like the 6.0/6.4/7.3. Theres soo much plastic, be very delicate. I already owe aaron $50+ in stuff that I touched wrong or just barely leaned on. Its much like Ford's modern gassers with the only metal under the hood being the block.... Hope an upgraded intake will soon be availible, I cant see this plastic intake with Rubber gaskets liking heat and boost a whole lot.

Ford Master Diesel Certified
6.7 6.4 6.0 certified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(919) 383-9300 OR Toll-Free # 1-866-757-6537
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 06:45 PM
FNG

Holy chit that EGR cooler is huge

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:26 PM
bring the chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzchey21 View Post
Which is fine when you have a lift available but like when we were at the diesel power challenge changing an uppipe in the hotel parking lot, that was the biggest PITA ever, i just wish these trucks were easier to work on in that aspect of things, too bad the whole hood and front fenders dont tilt back like they do on a big truck, that would mike life so much easier
convert the manifolds to 6.0. that takes the bends out at the bottom that will blow out... problem solved.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Do you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle43335 View Post
convert the manifolds to 6.0. that takes the bends out at the bottom that will blow out... problem solved.
Other than the exhaust exits in the center of the valley, and intake is on the outside of the engine..... kind of hard to do.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Man up and pull a valve cover !! I want to see the valve train in that thing!!
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 01:41 PM
WWDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilox04fx4 View Post
yes its a single turbo with dual impellers one for low rpm and 1 for high..dual impellers on each side of 1..if that makes since? looks like a directional tire i guess..its weird
one if them isnt for low and for high, they are just two small wheels that make boost almost instantly, and they run two wheels to get the air flow out of it.

couple trucks one fast one not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode