MT truck of the year - Page 2 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 PM
PSN Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 674
Re: MT truck of the year

This is a stunning defeat for Ford.
Securing this BS award should have been paramount for Ford, considering everything they have invested.
Myself, I buy what I like, and not what someone tells me to like. Unfortunatly, there are millions of people who need to have their opinions formed for them by commercials and magazines, and look for GM to ride the wave with a new advertising campaign that will rub it in Ford's faces in a big way..
Too bad, I guess Ford should have greased those MT writers a little more than GM...

2008 F-350
345 KEM
2011 Silverado
2010 Tahoe
George C is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Diesel Therapist
 
Greenshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Posts: 153
Re: MT truck of the year

It took quite a few years for this to happen. It will take Ford a few years to perfect this motor, powertrane , and the likes. Props for the numbers the GM products pulled. Ford is still private and that is what I value most. This said, the front -ends of the GM's and trans will become troublesome (as they have in the past) for their owners. The actual control ( yaw and wind drifting) of a fifth wheel or large box trailer will be better with a Super Duty do to weight and the front-end. The GM uses much more Urea than the Fords per mile pulling similar weights. The Fords seem to be getting somewhat better mileage and maintenance costs ( no formal tests I know of, just comparing the aggregate of anecdotes from sites dedicated to specific brands). Ford could address the Exhaust Break and high altitude acceleration issues with reprogramming for the most part. I had a 2008 3500 silverado as a work truck for over a year and I bought a 2008 Super duty 6.4. Both had their merits but the Ford was a better truck for my needs ( towing trailers and long distance travel with a family of 5 and 2 dogs). The control is much better with the Ford, the Chevy was quicker.

Competition is what keeps we HD truck owners and enthusiasts having a choice, and ultimately the best possible products available. Let's hope our Federal Government keeps it's nose out of future business dealing. As this will ultimately destroy choice by putting down private competing firms if left unabated. If GM had fallen, someone would have stepped up and either bought just GMC or another manufacturer whom was more prudent with money would have stepped up and the free market would have allowed all brands to get even better.

08' Job 2, F-250 CC SB Lariat two tone 3.73 4X4
S&B CAI, Spartan 300 (DD), Recon smoke cab lights
Powerstroke67/ homebuilt 4" DPF/CAT delete w/6"rolled tip and 4"SS exhaust (all home installed),Dual Headrest DVD, Rhino liner.
Amsoil 5w40 EOI (10K)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greenshield is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM
PSN Local
 
D2HP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 90
Re: MT truck of the year

Did anyone notice the 0-60 times for the Dually w/ the Duramax? Motortrend claimed 7.0 seconds, and at the shootout (Pickuptrucks.com)the time was 8.3 seconds with the same axle ratios and everything. That doesn't sound right at all. I think anyone that is going to put down over 50K will drive both trucks unless they only buy one brand. If they drive both I think they will end up with a blue oval in their driveway.
D2HP is offline  
 
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:13 PM
PSN Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 674
Re: MT truck of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenshield View Post
It took quite a few years for this to happen. It will take Ford a few years to perfect this motor, powertrane , and the likes. Props for the numbers the GM products pulled. Ford is still private and that is what I value most. This said, the front -ends of the GM's and trans will become troublesome (as they have in the past) for their owners. The actual control ( yaw and wind drifting) of a fifth wheel or large box trailer will be better with a Super Duty do to weight and the front-end. The GM uses much more Urea than the Fords per mile pulling similar weights. The Fords seem to be getting somewhat better mileage and maintenance costs ( no formal tests I know of, just comparing the aggregate of anecdotes from sites dedicated to specific brands). Ford could address the Exhaust Break and high altitude acceleration issues with reprogramming for the most part. I had a 2008 3500 silverado as a work truck for over a year and I bought a 2008 Super duty 6.4. Both had their merits but the Ford was a better truck for my needs ( towing trailers and long distance travel with a family of 5 and 2 dogs). The control is much better with the Ford, the Chevy was quicker.

Competition is what keeps we HD truck owners and enthusiasts having a choice, and ultimately the best possible products available. Let's hope our Federal Government keeps it's nose out of future business dealing. As this will ultimately destroy choice by putting down private competing firms if left unabated. If GM had fallen, someone would have stepped up and either bought just GMC or another manufacturer whom was more prudent with money would have stepped up and the free market would have allowed all brands to get even better.

Private?
First of all, Ford is certainly not private in any stretch of the imagination, they just saw the writing on the wall a few years ago and made corrective changes. Hmm, like the 6.0L, and their vaunted service in correcting the issue...
Secondly, our federal Government loaned GM the money at a nice tidy profit for the American people.
Read:
GM repays $8.4bn bailout loan in full - Times Online

Just how does the government loan effect someones purchase decisions?
I don't get it. As far as someone else buying GM, just who runs around with that much coin?
Maybe China?
Our Government did the right thing.

I would hope your buying choices should be focused on the product, not the soap box material...

2008 F-350
345 KEM
2011 Silverado
2010 Tahoe
George C is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Diesel Therapist
 
Greenshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Posts: 153
Re: MT truck of the year

GM took allot more than just 8.4 billion from taxpayers. General Motors Debt | FactCheck.org and here in video form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOaS2...ayer_embedded#! and have yet to pay it back, never will. GM used TARP funds to pay back TARP funds it never used and called it a pay back. It is like you borrowing 50 bucks ( on a two month pay back schedule) holding on to it and collecting 1 months interest on it and giving it back to me, with interest. More over the original debt (bond) holders were forced to take a loss on GM by the Federal Government and were not given a piece after the "buy back". Only select friends of friends (unions especially) were allowed to purchase back in. GM to this day is in debt over it's ears. Ford is still private. They did take a loan from the Fed, not the U.S. government. The Fed usually loans to banks first and then to the lenders, but Ford Credit, not Ford Motor took the loan from the Fed. I have my problems with the Fed even existing, but facts are facts.

The Government corrupting the free market LIMITS choice, not influences it. When they pick winners and losers, we lose period. Companies fail and new ones arise in their place, thus improving products and choice. If a Government prevents new and fresh companies from arising then WE lose choice and product improvement. Going in to debt, getting a bailout from a Government deep in debt, nationalizing a corporation, taking money from bond holders and breaking their contract unlawfully is anything but the right thing to do. How much stock did you get for your share of the loan? Ever receive a dividend check? The UAW has both. Hmmmm whom supports Obama and Dems?

No soap box just facts. The argument can't be broken.
General Motors Deceptive Advertising Challenged by Watchdog Group in FTC Filing | Competitive Enterprise Institute

08' Job 2, F-250 CC SB Lariat two tone 3.73 4X4
S&B CAI, Spartan 300 (DD), Recon smoke cab lights
Powerstroke67/ homebuilt 4" DPF/CAT delete w/6"rolled tip and 4"SS exhaust (all home installed),Dual Headrest DVD, Rhino liner.
Amsoil 5w40 EOI (10K)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greenshield is offline  
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 PM
PSN Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 674
Re: MT truck of the year

Ford is not private. How can you even debate this?
CEI? That's the media you are offering as your example?
I'll pass on that debate.
GM debt? We can get into unions, pensions, ect, shall we?
I don't find it worth rehashing.
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with these bailouts, but to let a company like GM fail doesn't just affect GM and their employees.
It's the collateral damages that could have effected almost every community in our nation. Those losses were not tollerable in our fragile economy.
It's the same thing with the scumbags at AIG. If AIG went down, that girgling sound would have been our entire banking system going down the drain with it. Unfortunatly, most people can not even imagine what life would have been like if that were to happen.

Either way, it doesn't effect my decision to buy my wife her third Tahoe..
She loves the vehicle, it's a great SUV and it's safe and reliable.
Sorry, but the Expedition doesn't make the cut here.

2008 F-350
345 KEM
2011 Silverado
2010 Tahoe
George C is offline  
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Diesel Therapist
 
Greenshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Posts: 153
Re: MT truck of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post
Ford is not private. How can you even debate this?
GM debt? We can get into unions, pensions, ect, shall we?
I don't find it worth rehashing.
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with these bailouts, but to let a company like GM fail doesn't just affect GM and their employees.
It's the collateral damages that weren't tollerable.
Either way, it doesn't effect my decision to buy my wife a new Tahoe..
She loves the vehicle, it's a great SUV and it's safe and reliable.
Sorry...

It's the same thing with the scumbags at AIG. If AIG went down, that girgling sound would have been our entire banking system going down the drain with it. Unfortunatly, most people can not even imagine what life would have been like if that were to happen.
Can you imagine what it would be like if it had? your points are without merit and what is not private about Ford? Also waiting for reply on the GM supposed pay back and profit.

As for focusing on the product, that was most of my argument and the tenet. I mentioned specific issues and even praised the GM product! The argument can't be broken

I own my truck outright (bought it used), My mortgage is through private sourcing at a tremendous savings.

Purchasing a certain brand is not my intent. I also own a Honda. Your purchases are your business and I hope you are happy with the ones you make.

08' Job 2, F-250 CC SB Lariat two tone 3.73 4X4
S&B CAI, Spartan 300 (DD), Recon smoke cab lights
Powerstroke67/ homebuilt 4" DPF/CAT delete w/6"rolled tip and 4"SS exhaust (all home installed),Dual Headrest DVD, Rhino liner.
Amsoil 5w40 EOI (10K)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greenshield is offline  
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Diesel Therapist
 
Greenshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Posts: 153
Re: MT truck of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post


I'm not saying I agree or disagree with these bailouts,


Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post

Secondly, our federal Government loaned GM the money at a nice tidy profit for the American people.
Read:
GM repays $8.4bn bailout loan in full - Times Online

Just how does the government loan effect someones purchase decisions?
I don't get it. As far as someone else buying GM, just who runs around with that much coin?
Maybe China?
Our Government did the right thing.
huh?

08' Job 2, F-250 CC SB Lariat two tone 3.73 4X4
S&B CAI, Spartan 300 (DD), Recon smoke cab lights
Powerstroke67/ homebuilt 4" DPF/CAT delete w/6"rolled tip and 4"SS exhaust (all home installed),Dual Headrest DVD, Rhino liner.
Amsoil 5w40 EOI (10K)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greenshield is offline  
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 PM
PSN Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 674
Re: MT truck of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenshield View Post
Can you imagine what it would be like if it had? your points are without merit and what is not private about Ford? Also waiting for reply on the GM supposed pay back and profit.

As for focusing on the product, that was most of my argument and the tenet. I mentioned specific issues and even praised the GM product! The argument can't be broken

I own my truck outright (bought it used), My mortgage is through private sourcing at a tremendous savings.

Purchasing a certain brand is not my intent. I also own a Honda. Your purchases are your business and I hope you are happy with the ones you make.
What's not private about ford?
Lets start with the basics, its a stock held company.

2008 F-350
345 KEM
2011 Silverado
2010 Tahoe
George C is offline  
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Diesel Therapist
 
Greenshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Posts: 153
Re: MT truck of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post
What's not private about ford?
Lets start with the basics, its a stock held company.
Are you serious? Private as in not Government owned, bailed out, etc.
There is a huge difference between PUBLICLY TRADED ( as almost all major corporations are) and PUBLICLY OWNED.

BTW in Government owned ( to prevent confusion ) GM, the IPO went to bailed out banks whom then determined whom could buy stocks. Guess what? Private citizens whom bailed out GM were not among those allowed to buy stock or even given stock in exchange for use of their seized income in the form of Federal Income Tax. Only more bailed out banks, CHINA, and the UAW. China bought tons of stock in GM. hmmm

08' Job 2, F-250 CC SB Lariat two tone 3.73 4X4
S&B CAI, Spartan 300 (DD), Recon smoke cab lights
Powerstroke67/ homebuilt 4" DPF/CAT delete w/6"rolled tip and 4"SS exhaust (all home installed),Dual Headrest DVD, Rhino liner.
Amsoil 5w40 EOI (10K)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greenshield is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome